AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the KE37XS910 37 Inch Plasma WEGA HD ready display.

My particular worry is whether the ALiS technology will make interlacing artifacts unbearable (I read somewhere that older 1024 line displays are inherently interlaced...so that's also a worry).

Unfortunately, there's only one store near me that has sells it and they only show a computer feed to it, and I can't find any real online reviews.

SONY plasmas haven't been too popular with aficionados in the past so I'm wondering how these stack up to the competition in that price range. Is SONY quality turning around? I've also been considering the Panasonic EDTVs, but am now thinking about paying a little more to get the higher resolution of the SONY 37 inch.

Plasma city says the contrast ratio is 1:4000, but I can't find that info anywhere else. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought the KE42xs910 and am loving it. I looked at it side by side with the xbr950 which I could have bought for $1500 more, and can't see an appreciable difference. If you were watching something with a lot of dark scenes, there would be a very slightly better handling of detail in dark colors by the xbr950, and I think people here have attributed that to the slightly higher quality glass on the xbr950 (someone feel free to correct me on this). I compared the two side by side at varying distances watching dvd's, SD quality satellite signal input, and HD quality signals. On all of those you could have flipped a coin on the difference between the xbr950 and the xs910. Maybe my eyes are not "trained" as well as some others to find every potential flaw. Nobody out there has a flawless product though.

I have watched enough already to tell you that your biggest problem will be that you will get used to the HD programming and better dvd quality (I use a player that upconverts to 1080i) and will suddenly be dissatisfied with your SD programming. This has forced me to go ahead and get an HD receiver for D* satellite feeds (already had a box for HD locals on Comcast) to increase your number of HD channels.

I compared the Panasonic ED and HD sets and probably went with the Sony b/c of past positive experience with Sony. Also, I think the way ALIS works, we may see increased longevity with them vs. non-ALIS plasmas.

Good luck in your decision making, and always go with what looks best to you and has positive potential for quality and longevity.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kazu:

The new Sony 37" AliS panel is quite good. I have seen it at a couple of Circuit City outlets. At one it was directly above the brand new Sony 42XBR plasma. (There is also a new 42" AliS from Sony that I have seen at a local B&M.) The XBR Sonys have a full "floating frame" while the ALiS Wegas have a "partial floating frame." Probably because the screen is smaller, I have found the 37" to have a somewhat better PQ than the 42" XBR when viewed from within 10 feet. The new Sony ALiS panels seem to have a much better ability to handle shades of grey/black than last years version. It is now very comparable to the XBR in that regard. I think Sony is getting close to Panasonic in that respect also. I am a fan of the Sony ALiS panels when it comes to NTSC --standard def--sports. I think it does a better job than most HD and ED plasmas with challenging material such as football and golf. I have not seen the 37 Sony beside the Panny 37 ED ( which is about $1,500 less expensive) or the new Philips 37 plasma, which is also an ALiS panel ( which is about $1,000 less than the Sony.) I have seen the 37 Panny several times and have been very impressed with it, but I would not buy one until I am convinced that Panasonic has really solved its power supply(shutdown) problem on models of their 37 and 42 ED plasmas produced after August 2003. If Panasonic has solved its problem the 37" ED should compete well with the Sony 37. Panasonic is supposed to be releasing a new 37 HD plasma in April.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in agreement with the how well the 42XS910 handles standard definition. I returned the panny consumer for the 42XS910. Dark scenes may not be quite as good, but the Sony did a much better job with some of my shows that I have to view in sd, most notably "24". I preordered the hd tivo so I'm left with sd until then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.