AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid there used to be a travelling exhibition of rides and such that came to my city.

One of the "rides" was a movie dome called cinema 180 and it had a 15 minute film of roller coaster rides, helicopter rides and car racing all designed to stimulate vertigo type feelings.

Now at 41, I want a DVD that does the same thing and I would love to experience it on my home theatre screen in HD.

Anyone have a list of fast paced thrill ride type DVD's?

I have been looking for hours on Google and I can't find anything

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
You bet its called Transformers from the 1:42-2:12 mark......best 30min HT ride I have taken at reference level audio playback if you have a good audio setup

In all seriousness I dont know of any DVD or BR like that, but I would also like to check something like this out.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/16926304

One of the "rides" was a movie dome called cinema 180 and it had a 15 minute film of roller coaster rides, helicopter rides and car racing all designed to stimulate vertigo type feelings.

Oh man, I had almost forgotten about that

They used to have that dome in a traveling amusement park back in the mid 80:s in our town. Oh man I was just struck by nostalgia

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to own one of the (there was two of them;i.e. vs1&vs2)Americas Greatest Rollercoasters dvds in 3d. I do wish I wouldn't have sold it because it had the Timber Wolf from Worlds of Fun in it(where I'm from) and it was in 3d. I remember watching it after a night of drinking and it wasn't very fun then. But yeah, it was cool. Wonder why they don't even have a blu-ray of that yet?

Americas-Greatest-Roller-Coaster-Thrills 3D

AGRC-thrills

The following is the exact one I used to have and I wish I would have never sold it. I believe I got it at best buy then.
http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Great.../dp/6305078920

On blu-ray, the closest thing would be the special features of How the West was Won, as the above poster jvillain

said... you could loop the 20 seconds of first person roller coaster ride however.

The following poster has a point too, I remember the train ride on the polar express and my stomach sort of did drop. Thanks for the reminder JetJockey1.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to check those out.

I think it would be great to have a HD quality 90 min video of nothing but high speed car driving, planes flying through valleys, helicoptors flying out over the grand canyon, river rafting, sky diving etc...

Just nothing but adreneline for an hour and a half.

I know I would pay $50 for such a thing as soon as it hit the market.

Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Great...9596985&sr=1-1

I would recommend it vs. the 3D version posted earllier because the 3D version is terrible quality IMO.

I too would love to see oen of these made for BD. A place like Cedar Point would be a great candidate to make one for all their rides.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speed racer sucked, especially the sound.

Not quite what I was looking for so I will have to check the rest.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'll second Super Speedway, awesome sequences. I don't think it's out on blu-ray, but I have a copy of Grand Prix on HDDVD and the old footage in the race cars is great! There is a dvd called Over Canada that is a helicopter ride over all parts of Canada that looks great on my plasma. It's not HDDVD or Blu-Ray, but it was filmed with high def equipment.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my daughter and just finished a blu-ray called Roller Coasters in the Raw HD volume 1 and wow, it was actually good. In our primitive home theater we were able to move the theater chairs up to about 8 feet from our 169 inch 16x9 image. After an hour an 30 minutes we still had 4 coasters to go (we replayed a lot in the beginning)....but we weren't feeling the best, so we broke for dinner. While I am now confident that the KFC is going to stay down, "Roller Coasters" was worth the $14.99. I am ordering the other volumes from Amazon tonight.

Note: while it says it is in 1080p HD the 2010 Volume 1 looked good but seemed more like 720p quality.

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
While it is animated, the anime movie Redline is all about simulating the experience of zooming inside a futuristic racetrack. It came out a few years ago in a very impressive-looking Blu-ray.
Thanks for the rec Phantom. I bought this last week and watched last night and not only great PQ (besides some banding at times), but the audio track was a blast! Insane HT ride and glad I picked it up. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.