AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was wondering if ("preferably the people who have actaully heard , or have the speakers") can comment on how these tower speakers sound, and what combination you are using with them

-spyder

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
From my experience the RTi10 are no good as they have a big hole in the midrange. The RTi8 sound much more balanced but lack a bit of bass unless paired with a sub and the RTi12 sound very very good (they have a wider soundstage) and I wish I could afford them - not to show off but simply for pure acoustic enjoyment. I believe Polks are on sale now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You probably should post this question over at Club Polk. I have some of the older Polks and the problem is that you really can't tell how they sound if you've just listened to them at Circuit City. The setups at CC's are just not very good. Mine sound very different in my setup at my house.

Also, be sure you get opinions from those who own these new ones. The older ones have some significant design differences. Not sure exactly why Polk changed the design of the RTi line so much. But, I suspect it was to appeal more to mass-market crowd. I think they are trying to steel Bose customers or something. I guess the average consumer off the street just thought those downward firing bass ports were strange looking. But, I like them very much and I have read that they help produce a better soundstage, which is one of the older Polks' strengths. Then there is also the issue of those plastic feet and the offset grills that let dust in on the new ones. I would never buy a speaker with a grill that lets dust in. Some also say that the new ones are very bright. That's how they sounded to me in CC. But again, I have never heard the new ones anywhere but CC, so maybe they are not so bright in a home setup. However, many say that the average consumer often mistakes brightness for more detail in the sound. So, on the other hand, they might intentionally be bright in an attempt to appeal to the mass-market crowd. Who knows.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The rti 8s are a very good speaker pair and they sound very good with Yamaha and HK. Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.