Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey -

As a HLN507 and XBOX owner, I am annoyed by the TV's lack of a full range component imput. As I launch games from my dashboard, which is 480i, but want to be able to play games like Soul Calibur II in 720P without switching cables, I'm stuck.

I was going to get a set of Y adapters and simply split the component connection to two of the TV's jacks, but that is an annoying and decidedly in-elegant solution.

What about this? Neoya X2VGA Adapter

Looks like it might be the answer. It has a 480i mode that lets you display part of the screen (the center, but you can scrool the display), which would be enough to launch games. Plus, it should be a higher quality signal as compared to the component.

What do you all think? I'm about to order it, but I wanted to get some opinions first...

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think I might order that for my Panny 50lc13. My component color is jacked up on my Panny, and have yet to solve the riddle. This would offer a better pic over component and I have read some good reviews on the product. Check out the recent OXM for a review.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the PQ should be great - but the main thing for me is that I wouldn't have the 480i problem.

So here's the question - what resolutions will the VGA port accept? Will it take 480i all the way up to 720 or 1080?

RD

·
Registered
597 Posts
If your component looks nice the difference problably wouldn't be earth shattering, but for me, the blue/green X is sad, so I would benefit greatly. However, if I can't dial Color/Saturation in like it should, there must be something wrong with those inputs on my set :-(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just and update: I've ordered this adapter, and should have it in about a week. I'll let you know how well it works...

RDaneel

·
Registered
93 Posts
What I have done is use a y cable splitter on the green cable. I then run one side to the normal component and the other to a video1 composite input. This way if I need to see the dashboard, I just switch to Video1 and update any settings (in black and white). I then get full hd resolutions over the Component 1.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Kind of OT, but I played Soul Calibur II last night on a 65" Sony KDP-65XBR2 at 720p (converted to 1080i by TV) and those were the most amazing videogame graphics I have ever seen. This was going through component cables, but it's definitely worth it to get whatever kind of cables you need to get it working. I can't wait to play SCII in 720p on my GWIII.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, here's the update.

There is definitely good news and bad news. The good news is that it looks great in widescreen games, and is a very clear picture - and yes, 720P does look good. Also, the 480i mode works as advertized. It isn't watchable, but it's enough to make changes to the settings in the dashboard.

The bad news: DON'T BUY THIS ADAPTER FOR USE WITH THE SAMSUNG DLP! I knew that the TV allowed only Wide (TV), Wide (PC), and Normal aspect ratios while using the DVI and VGA inputs. I figured that that would be fine for Xbox games. However, for some reason the X2VGA adapter and HLN combination shrinks the 480P window size while in normal aspect ratio. You can see the whole screen, it just is "letterboxed" on all four sides to be a very small picture (about half the size it should be). Thus, you can have only a miniature picture for 4:3 games, which is pretty much all of them. Widescreen hi def games look stellar, but other than NBA 2K3, I don't have any.

Any idea why the 480P picture is so small through the VGA port?

The solution for me turned out to be a progressive scan hack for the launcher dashboard I use to choose games stored on the hard drive. It allows everything except the normal MS dashboard to run in 480P. Now I have hi def bliss!

RDaneel

P.S. What's the deal with Soul Calibur being a 4:3 picture while in 720P, but widescreen at 480P?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sorry, but what's the problem here? The Samsung's can't do full resolution over component? I'm thinking about getting a Sammy and my XBox is one of the main reasons. Could you please explain the problem in detail for me? As, this may be a deal breaker!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RDaneel
P.S. What's the deal with Soul Calibur being a 4:3 picture while in 720P, but widescreen at 480P?
I suspect they ran into framerate issues when running it 720p in 16:9, so they just draw to a 4:3 rectangle for 720p to cut down on processing and get a solid framerate. It kind of sucks that the Xbox can't handle it, but SCII on my GWIII looks excellent even with the black side bars.

I did just pick up Tony Hawk 4 for $19.99. This game is supposed to be 720p and 16:9. I'll check it out tonight.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony Hawk does look great. Not my favorite game, but it looks much better than 480P.

Zen Lord - here's the issue: The Samsung DLP TVs have three component video inputs. One of them can display only 480i and 480p, so it's fine for DVD players. The other two can do only 480p, 720p, and 1080i. For most people, this isn't a problem, as they use Component 1 for a progressive scan DVD player, and the others for HD satellite and cable boxes, etc.

The problem with the Xbox is that the MS dashboard and even EvoX (dashboard for hacked Xboxes used to actually launch games stored on the hard disk) are 480i, but 95% of games are 480p and some are 720p. Thus, if you want to be able to play those few games in 480i, and use the dashboards, you have to have it plugged into Component 1. However, if you want 720p or 1080i support, you have to plug the Xbox into Component 2 or 3. There's the problem.

Solutions include using a Y splitter on the component video's luminesence cable to split it to a composite video input, so you can see the dash in black and white, or using a progressive scan hack on the dashboard files. It is only one hex value in the code of the dash or game that sets progressive or interlaced, so it isn't a big deal to change it.

I thought the VGA adapter might be the answer, but, as you can see, it has its own share of limitations.

This TV is great for the Xbox - except for the stupid decision to not have full range ports, and that it is often a little dark (up the gamma in the game or in the TVs settings). I love the combination - games look great! As more and more come out with 720P support, it only gets better.

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Registered
963 Posts
I was looking into getting one as well, but the 480p problem you are having is a strange one.

When I run the Dreamcast through VGA on my Sammy DLP, which is 640x480, one of the diaplsy modes fills the screen, while another shows it as a 640x480 matrix within the larger 1280x720 field (with large black bars).

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Tony Hawk does look great. Not my favorite game, but it looks much better than 480P.
I agree, not my favorite game either (maybe because I suck at it :)), but since it was 720p and just $20 I had to get it. I looks really good on my GWIII.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RDaneel, could you Y-Split all three wires to another input to run the other games? Are the games that aren't HD (ie: launch games or whatever) 480i? I'm just getting really frustrated with all this. Right now, it seems, there are no easy or perfect choices with hd big screens.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bishamon - That might be it. The window size of the 480p games was probably about 640x480 - that's why it looks so small. I am used to having it scaled up to fill the 4x3 vertical space on the TV, so 1000ish by 720. I guess the VGA input won't scale a 480 signal to fill the screen, it just shows it at the true resolution - which is tiny on this big screen!

Zen - You're right - there is no perfect big screen. I picked the Sammy because I wanted a tabletop TV, and I wasn't willing to deal with the GWII's black level or scaled DVI input. Everything has compromises - it's a matter of finding those that bother you the least.

You can certainly split all three wires - that would solve the problem just fine, I believe. However, I ended up filling up the component jacks, so I didn't want to devote two to the Xbox. Plus, it's annoying to have to change the input on the TV twice. Not a big deal, but a pain. Now I have my friend's PS2 on the Component 1 (it doesn't do HD), the cable box on 2, and the Xbox on 3, HTPC on DVI. Makes me very happy!

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever TV you end up with!

RDaneel

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Bishamon - That might be it. The window size of the 480p games was probably about 640x480 - that's why it looks so small. I am used to having it scaled up to fill the 4x3 vertical space on the TV, so 1000ish by 720. I guess the VGA input won't scale a 480 signal to fill the screen, it just shows it at the true resolution - which is tiny on this big screen!

But that's just it; with the Dreamcast VGA box displaying 640x480, one of the aspect ratio modes would display full screen. I just don't understand why this XBox VGA adapter doesn't let the DLP set do the same thing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe this VGA adapter intentionally outputs an image with the black borders already in. It is intended to work on PC monitors, so maybe it internally creats an 800x600 image (only 640x480 occupied) or something and sends it out. It is annoying. If you have any ideas, let me know, and I'll test it out.

RDaneel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.