AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all the Sharp z9000 hubub, it seems any further info on the Seleco HT300 has been lost.

Does anyone have any further info on this new 16:9 HD1 DLP projector??

Cost??

Availability (I know it is supposed to be late Nov. but any further word on this??).

Does it use the same 6000 hour bulb the 200DM uses??

Anything else I forgot to ask??

I'm also wondering about the other 16:9 DLP projectors announced at CEDIA, any further word on them??

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah, Jason, we know AVS will have the Sharp, how about a time estimate for the Seleco.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Cain the cost is expensive- Seleco HT300 $14,900 RRP

I would see the Sharp 1st and then the Seleco to decide whether it was worth another $4,900 over the Sharp.

Spero D.

·
Registered
704 Posts
With the HT300 aren't you also paying for a NR built into the unit? From what I'm hearing you would need an outboard scaler with the Sharp? List price for Sharp is $11K and the list for the HT300 is $14.9K, so let's be sure we are comparing list price to list price and what you would be getting. I imagine the street price for the HT300 will be less than Jason can tell you more.

Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------

Keith S.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Cain

You would not want to do anything until you can see all your options, because as you know things change and peoples taste can be vastly different especially once you see them next to each other and in operation.

I would be very surprised if the Sharp will look as good as the Seleco. Seleco was the only other Dlp that I looked seriously at back in January. Seleco also understands how important the picture quality is to HT buffs, because that all the company does. If (thats a big If) I upgrade, it will be in late Feb or early March and Seleco and Dwin would be the two HT units I imagine will be the ones to beat, as I found out early this year.(my dealer is striking me a deal to talk me into a new one)

I am still amazed at how people whip up a mad frenzy about a bit of equipment then 6mths down the road the unit hardly gets a mention.

Seems to be lots of speculation and buying on spec sheets or members hot 1hr reviews. Not to mention many gas bag's who never seem to buy anything, regardless of the hot air they blow.

As always at 10K+ investment "Try before you Buy" and compare before you wear.

DavidW

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I do have a limited brochure on the HT300. It doesn't really give out specs as much as it is a hype pamphlet. I'd be happy to fax it to anyone interested, just drop me an email. The expected delivery time is indeed November, and in our experience, Seleco is usually pretty close to their estimated date. They are running specials for Cedia this month only. Check them out if you are intersted in this unit, it may be worth your while.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David, good advice and I agree with you 1000%.

I cannot and will not buy anything that I have not seen myself, more than once on lots of different material, and preferably anything I can audition in my home.

I also think your point about Seleco and DWIN knowing and listening to what folks like us want is well made.

I plan to wait until after I have seen these units and probably will not buy until November or December at the earliest.

Jason, I'll e-mail you or give you a shout on the telephone tomorrow about the HT300.

Take care and thanks for the info folks,

-- Cain

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The current Seleco models have better blacks, colors, and detail in dark scenes (my hot button) than the Sharp IMHO.

I therefore strongly recommend waiting to see the Seleco 300 before making the decision to buy the Sharp.

I also suspect that, once we get the Seleco 300, we will have everything in that price range until next spring sometime, and so that would be a good time to make a decision. Any comments on this?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
With the HT300 aren't you also paying for a NR built into the unit? From what I'm hearing you would need an outboard scaler with the Sharp? List price for Sharp is $11K and the list for the HT300 is $14.9K, so let's be sure we are comparing list price to list price and what you would be getting. I imagine the street price for the HT300 will be less than Jason can tell you more.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I was told list is $10k but I digress. Another member who saw both units said the following-

Quote:
Between Seleco and Sharp, I didn't see much difference--whether there would be with 480p, I can't say. Big price difference, though; the Seleco will list for $14,995. The Seleco has the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing/scaling, and the Sharp doesn't. On the other hand, you can get a Faroudja native rate series scaler for the Sharp for less than the price difference. Maybe that's the way to go? And why can't Seleco have more than one component input on the projector itself. (You can get too, but only if you buy a $1,000 add-on remote piece).
The Sharp does come with 2 sets of Component inputs. So as you say lets make sure we compare them to each and other and what you will be getting.

Spero D.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jason:

The CEDIA special from Seleco, is that through you or direct with the company?

All:

What would you look for in addition to the Sage/Faroudja deintelacer/scaler to justify the extra cost of the Seleco over the Sharp? Optics? Size?

And what does the Sage/Faroudja deintelacer/scaler in the projector provide over what you could achieve with a progressive DVD player?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Cain:

My question is subjective, but are Seleco colors truly that much better than the Sharp? Especially for an extra $4k. By the way, do you have any thoughts on how they achieve better color?

rlsmith:

Where did you see both units in order to form this opinion?

I'm really wanting a projector NOW, but I CAN wait.

[This message has been edited by C Clark (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
C Clark-

The scalar built in should dramatically help all of your sources. If you are only dvd, get a DM. if you watch DISH, ps2, dvd, hdtv, etc, than the HT300 is a no brainer.

the seleco costs 1k more than a Sharp + NR. I would definitely pay an extra 1k for the Selecos colors...the Sharp does not come close.

·
Registered
75 Posts
>>the seleco costs 1k more than a Sharp + NR

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, what does NR mean? Is that shorthand for external scaler?

I thought that if you were using a HTPC the internal scaler wouldn't be an issue. But I also heard Sharp doesn't map pixels 1:1 for a HTPC (I guess this is part of the problem), does anyone know if the Seleco does?

I definitely want to use a HTPC with the projector so any information you can give would be gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Keith R- Just wondering if you saw both the Sharp 9000 and Seleco 300 to make the statement "the Sharp does not come close" (regarding colors). I spoke with Jason at AVS, and while he felt the Seleco may produce better colors, he didn't think the difference would be that great, since they are both using the same exact DLP chip and color wheel. I personally saw the Sharp, and if the color temperature is not set correctly, the colors will be way off. There are quite a few settings for color temperature, and at the dealer I saw it at, the color temp was set way too blue. I adjusted a few of the controls and the color improved quite a bit. I have not seen the Seleco, so I can't make a comparison. There are a lot of people "on the fence" right now, and I would just like clarification from any forum member who happened to see both the Seleco and Sharp set up correctly to pass judgement on which has the better colors, and the range of difference if any. If the Sharp doesn't come close in colors, what is in the Seleco that makes it that much better? Bulb choice and quality? Power supply? Optics? I think some answers to these questions would help a lot of people who are having a tough decision on which projector to choose.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Given that you can get the Sharp 9000 - Faroudja NRS for a couple of hundred over $10,000 I would say that is one of the best deals around and could give serious competition to the Seleco.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's the combo I settled on and just don't want to regret my decision regarding the Seleco's colors. I discussed this with Jason at AVS, and he felt the 9000 and NRS would be quite good. If the Seleco is a little better I can live with it, but if the Seleco is that much better than the 9000, I would like to know about it. I also didn't want to send multiple cables to the projector with the Seleco, or have to purchase their remote switcher, as my cable length is about 35 feet. With the NRS, I am just running one 5 wire RGB BetterCables Silver Serpent from the NRS to the 9000.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gladiator:
since they are both using the same exact DLP chip and color wheel.
The chip is the same but the wheel isn't, Seleco design their own wheels. A lot of things can affect the quality of colour reproduction.

Jeff

·
Registered
250 Posts
After a little searching, I managed to figure out that NRS stands for Native Rate Scaler (at least I think it does). I am assuming that an HTPC removes the need for this, but if not, please let me (and ba) know.

Thanks!

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had a CRT for around 3 years now. For reasons of practicality I've been hoping that new technology would match the CRT.

Nothing did, until two weeks ago, when I auditioned the HT200DM. In short, I bought one. Now it sits next to my CRT, which is currently looking for a new home.

Anyone in this market really has to take a look at these wonderful machines.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.