AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 13w X 24L X 9H and I built a wall to make a 5 foot space to hide my rear projection tv, now the room is 13W X19L.

I also want to place my speakers in this hidden room, cutting rectangle holes in the sheet rock and placing the speakers flush with the back of the sheetrock. I will cover the opening with a speaker mesh material.

The room that will house the tv and speakers has no windows, doors, etc.

There are no ports on my front speakers to have to contend with.

How bad will this effect the quality of my front channels?

If problems, what can I do to make it sound better as my wife is committed to the design of a flat front wall?

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Putting the speakers behind a false wall shouldn't effect the acoustics much at all as long aa an acoustically transparent screen fabric used. Make sure you have ample absorption behind the speakers and false wall as well as in the areas of the first reflection.

Since your three speakers will be in the same plane along the front wall, make sure your processor has a center channel delay function or you will have dialog intelligibilty and other processing related problems rerlative to your front three speakers.

If the wife is insistant, it's a moot point for you anyways!

Jeff

·
Registered
243 Posts
dlins1,

I am in the process of doing this now. First thought is not to use drywall because of the dust after it is cut. Think about using MDF instead.

Make sure you put your speakers as far up to or slightly into the hole if possible.

·
Registered
404 Posts
dont forget to toein

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just finished mine a couple weeks ago (see members theater pictures LUV THE TUNES) I have not yet finished posting all the pictures but you will see the basic idea. The speakers are in the opening right up to the grill cloth and toed. Thr speakers grills were removed also. The old room acoustic panels are placed behind the speakers and I'm going to build new ones for the room. After recalibrating with the internal test tones and the VE disc I have not noticed any major degredation of the sound in the room .

·
Registered
240 Posts
How about in-wall speakers? That IS what their purpose in life is, you know!

·
Registered
306 Posts
To go a step further you could set the speakers on board resting on a bed of sand. That would help decouple the speaker from the shelf that holds it. Also you may want to put material in the hidden room to absorb any unwanted sound. While most of the sound will go forward out of the speaker, the whole body of the speaker enclsure will vibrate as it produces sound. Thus the speaker enclosure will radiate some level of sound in all directions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.