Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I am considering on getting a 30" Sharp AQUOS LCD TV.

I have few basic questions about the Sharp LCD.

#1. It has a resolution of 1280x768 rather than 1280x720. Why is this ? 1280x768 isn't exactly a 16x9 HD aspect ratio, is it ? So.. even though I feed 720p signal, internal scaler doesn't get bypassed and still scales 720p to 768p ? What am I missing ?

#2. What kind of internal scaler/deinterlacer does Sharp use on AQUOS range ? Sharp's proprietary, Pixelworks, or something else?

#3. Response time ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone fed 720p or/and 1080i HD signal to European version of AQUOS ??

I wonder if European models accept HD signal.

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
tango03

1280x768 is an industry standard: many of these standards and the size of widescreen displays do not exactly match up to 16x9

this from user Rogo from another thread:

"If the pixels were precisely square and the inter-pixel gaps were precisely the same horizontally and vertically and the set was trying to absolutely display a true 16:9, then those calculations would matter."

so the scaler does its job as required

as to scaler type- I think user yubyub is looking into that: I think it is a Sharp proprietary scaler located in the AVC box

there is another thread about Sharp LCD's started by user Rogo that describes running NR to the panel ( with the AVC box disconnected)

I have the Sharp LC-30's and love them for HD video use

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Mark

Thanks very much for your input. I highly appreciate it.

As to the scaler type, if it is indeed Sharp's proprietary, I really hope it does a better job than Sharp's proprietary scaler - CIVIC in their z9000 DLP projector. (I've heard that z10000's scaler is very good, but not the one in z9000).

Only if European model LC-30HV4E accpets and display 720p, and 1080i HD signals..... (anybody can confirm this? :D )

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tango03

As to the scaler type, if it is indeed Sharp's proprietary, I really hope it does a better job than Sharp's proprietary scaler - CIVIC in their z9000 DLP projector. (I've heard that z10000's scaler is very good, but not the one in z9000).

the scaler in the AVC box is not very good IMO- that is why you really need to feed it a high quality source of 720p/1080i to get a good picture

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
the scaler in the AVC box is not very good IMO- that is why you really need to feed it a high quality source of 720p/1080i to get a good picture
Mark,

HD looks quite good on almost every display unless they're broken. :D

BTW, on AQUOS 30", when 720p (1280x720p) is fed, is scaler bypassed ? or it still scales to 1280x768p ?

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tango03
Mark,

HD looks quite good on almost every display unless they're broken. :

BTW, on AQUOS 30", when 720p (1280x720p) is fed, is scaler bypassed ? or it still scales to 1280x768p ?
it it true that HD looks good on most every display

the scaler is used when fed 720p: but to a lesser extent

Mark

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Unfortunately, it is the CVIC deinterlacer :-(

Page 58 (PC I/F block diagram) shows the CVIC inline right before the HDCP transmitter in the AVC controller.

(sorry for the delay - busy week).

-Jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, gents. :)

CVIC deinterlacer indeed.... if it's the first version (included in z9000 DLP), it should be mediocre (or bad), but if it is second version (included in z10000), it should be very good! :D But it seems like the first one. :(

Quote:
the scaler is used when fed 720p: but to a lesser extent
This is why I always think native 1280x720 display is always better than 1366x768, and 1280x768.

At least with 1280x720 native display, 720p HD source gets scaler-bypassed (no scaling involved), and gives 1:1 pixel mapping... resulting in more faithful image.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, I've just found an interesting info.

Quote:
LAS VEGAS, January 9, 2003 - Sharp Electronics Corporation today announced it has expanded its flat-screen AQUOS Liquid Crystal Television line to include a new 37-inch high definition, widescreen model (LC-37HV4U) and an upgraded 30-inch high definition, widescreen model (LC-30HV4U). These models give consumers an attractive alternative to plasma television.

The 37-inch High Definition AQUOS Liquid Crystal Television features a new, state-of-the-art ASV (Advanced Super View) panel with 1366 X 768 resolution, outfitted with Sharp's proprietary QS (Quick Shoot) technology, increasing the response time, which effectively reduces the visual lag inherent in fast-motion scenes.

In addition, both models include an upgraded Audio Video Computer system (AVC system) which houses the component, S-Video and computer (PC) inputs, and reduces the cable clutter around the panel itself, for a clean, stylish look. The new AVC system is also equipped with a DVI-D input capable of High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) protocol, which ensures compatibility with next generation high definition set-top boxes, making the new AQUOS the perfect solution for today as well as tomorrow. In addition, the AVC system includes Sharp's second generation Computer and Video Integrated Composer (CV-IC II) System which provides state-of-the-art, proprietary video scaler circuitry that upconverts standard signals to the native HD resolution of the televisions.
http://www.laaudiofile.com/ces2003.html

I'm not sure if this info is 100% correct.

But the CV-IC II is the second generation Sharp's propriatary scaler/deinterlacer which can be also found in their new z10000 DLP projector. This scaler/deinterlacer is known to be a very solid performer. It even does 3:2 pull-down on 1080i film-based materials. - Motion adaptive deinterlacing on 1080i HD sources. Many praise on this scaler in front projector forum. (Your AQUOS accepts 1080i, right ?)

yubyub (Jon),

any chance you could verify if 30" AQUOS indeed has the first version (CV-IC), or the second version (CV-IC II) ??

It's getting interesting! :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
tango03,

I'll try to get a part number - it wasn't listed in the block diagram, but I'll dig around. I'm almost %100 sure it's the 1st generation (the deinterlacer in the AVC is terrible... that's plain enough).

-Jon

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Unfortunately, no part number is listed for the CVIC.

If anybody wants to check by opening up the AVC unit, look on the PC I/F board, which should be labeled "CPCI-0056CE". In the center of this is a large FGPA - that's the CVIC. Right above the CVIC should be two memory chips (HY57V653220BTC-7 or equiv). To the left if the CVIC is a CXA3506R. Beneath it is the HD6417709.

tango03,

It's pretty safe to assume that the CVIC in the AVC box is the old version. The deinterlacer is pretty poor. I'm considering the Lumagen for my 30" Aquos.

The only thing the AVC box does correctly is HD - 1080i into the AVC box ends up looking beautiful on the panel.

-Jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, Jon. :)

Thank you for the confirmation.

So... old version it seems to be.... :(

If its deinterlacing is terrible, how does it look with 480p ? Like.. feeding 480p progressive signal from a Faroudja based dvd player such as RP-82 ?? (In this case the Faroudja in dvd player does deinterlacing, and Sharp only scales incoming 480p signal to 1280x768p).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The scaling isn't terrible, but isn't great either. It's average IMHO. I have fed the panel 480p from an IScan Pro, and while many of the deinterlacing artifacts are gone the panel still shows artifacts (jaggies) due to scaling.

Does anyone have a scaler to hook up to one of these panels? Mark, do you have something you could throw through the analog port on the AVC box? If not, I have an NRS which is set for 1024x768 - I could probably connect that and see what happens for 4:3 material at least.

-Jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jon,

Your 30" AQUOS is new LC-30HV4U (DVI/HDCP input), not the old LC-30HV2U, right ?

The problem (downside) I can see when IScan is involved in signal chain, is that extra D/A, and A/D conversion takes place in the signal chain. (because IScan doesn't accept any of digital signals such as SDI, and DVI) And I think this reduces resolution, and more jaggies (aliasing) can be introduced.

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Jon

I don't have an outboard scaler but have sources capable of scaling:

Samsung DVD HD1000 via component video can do 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i

Sony HD200 stb can do 480/720p and 1080i component video and DVI

so I leave sources set on 720p to feed Sharp LC-30

tango03

I have both the LC30HV2U and HV4U: both give similar performance except you can feed the HV4U via DVI/HDCP

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man, I saw the 30 inch Sharp today at Best Buy...it was pretty sweet and the blacks were surpisingly dark on it. I also saw the new Sony LCD that was like 32 or 30 inches also. The sharp seemed to look a bit better. The Sony that was on display (The klv30xbr900) seemed to have a bit of lag on the display and some things pixilated on the screen.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Ive have my Sharp 30" for a few days now and love it. I was not happy at first right out of the box. After spending some time with it and learning all the controls I now have a great picture on all my sources including cable tv.

I think the image is to small to make the investment in a outboard scaler worth it. The scaler works just as well as most consumer grade TVs and this set is excellent with HD material.

You do not want to sit to close with LCD. The further back the better it looks.

I will be mounting mine to wall once my wall mount arrives.

I really like the idea of the separate switcher. It keeps the display looking nice and clean without 20 wires going to it.

Im happy with it until the next generation hits.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.