AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am in the shopping/planning stage to get back DirecTV I want to see what is out their to get.

What are the different features and pros/cons of each receiver? The only differences I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. non-HDTV

2. HDTV compatible

3. Tivo built in

Other than differences in remotes, which i don't care about I have a Pronto, what should I look for, stay away from? Has anyone compiled a listing of each offering? What units does DirecTV send out when you sign up for the 2 free rooms installed promotion? Can you switch to something else if you don't want those choices?

I looked on the DirecTV website and other than being near impossible to negotiate the site, I could not find any listings of available receivers.

Oh, since I have an 18" dish with a single LNB can I just change out to the quad LND that is in use now, or do I need to change the dish itself too?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some other differences between receivers include:

4. Digital output for DD 5.1 sound

5. Composite outputs (some non-HD receivers have them)

6. IR blaster to automatically contol a VCR or other recording device

As for what DirecTV sends out, it's whatever they have in stock, so you don't have much control. You're better off shopping for your own deal. I've had good experiences with American Satellite ( http://www.americansatellite.com ), and I've also heard good things about dealing with Orbital (whose web site I can't remember off the top of my head).

Finally, you would need to change the dish itself to get the triple-LNB capabilities, as the triple dishes are oval to catch signals from all three satellites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the links Joe. I called American Satellite and hit their website. I was able to see the various receivers and see what they each offer feature wise. I found out that Tivo can't be used with component, which really surprised me. The guy recommended the Philips DSP6000 as my main unit for the HT and then a lesser model for a bedroom. He said I could reuse an old receiver I have but it just won't be able to receive the channels that are broadcast from the HD satellite, he rattled them off and I didn't care about them anyway.

The only thing that bothered me was he said I might not be considered a new customer because their database looks for any similarities whether it is address, name or phone number. It has been about 3-4 years since I last had DirecTV . . . have to give them a call and find out for certain.

Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.