AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and like good sound. I am not an expert. I have heard theat servo subs are more accurate. I am limited in space to 13 1/2" high. It can be wide. What is the best small sub for under $1,000? I watch movies in 5.1 and music in 2.1 . It is a small room, maybe 10' x 15'. I have a definitive prosub800, but it is boomy and not as controlled as I like. I can still return it if there is something better that will fit. I would prefer something that I can buy locally. I am in the SF bay area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Build a Rythmik kit. If you are not handy, pay a local craftsman (i.e cabinet shop) ~$300-400 to build a good enclosure with a nice high-end looking veneer of your choice. The electrical part you can do yourself.

I built a DIY Passive radiator design that I am quite happy with, but if I had to do it again I would go with one of these kits. The performance of these units is really unbelievable at the price point. Most people are flat to the LOW teens in room for a $600-700 investment AND they are apparently perfectly suited to music also.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it less then 13.5 " high? Is it a servo sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiotro /forum/post/0

Build a Rythmik kit. If you are not handy, pay a local craftsman (i.e cabinet shop) ~$300-400 to build a good enclosure with a nice high-end looking veneer of your choice. The electrical part you can do yourself.

I built a DIY Passive radiator design that I am quite happy with, but if I had to do it again I would go with one of these kits. The performance of these units is really unbelievable at the price point. Most people are flat to the LOW teens in room for a $600-700 investment AND they are apparently perfectly suited to music also.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

·
Registered
882 Posts
The Rythmik is definitely a servo kit; I did a listening comparison of the Rythmik kit in a 2cf box against a velodyne HGS-12 a few weeks ago. Check with Brian at Rythmik to see if you can fit the CV kit into a box the size you need. A 1cf box is probably OK, though you'll lose some output capability. I just don't know if the driver and amp will fit physically. If you can make the box wider and deeper you should be OK. If not, maybe a used Velodyne HGS-10 would meet your requirements.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I think you could do a 1 cu ft box but the smallest kit that Rythmik sells and recommends is 1.5 cu ft.

I'm building a pair of these and, as "mpiotro" suggests, I'm having custom cabinets built locally. They will have a front of 13" x 13" and be about 21" long. They are being built with 1 1 /2" thick MDF fronts, 3/4" sides and back with braces, driver and plate amp cut-outs, in addition to rounded corners and all covered in cherry veneer. So all I have to do is stain and finish to match my mains. The cost is only about $100 more than buying a P.E. box when you factor in shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralD /forum/post/0

A 1cf box is probably OK, though you'll lose some output capability. I just don't know if the driver and amp will fit physically. If you can make the box wider and deeper you should be OK.

That is correct. The 1.5 cu ft is the enclosure size to get similar output to the regular kit with 2 cu ft enclosure. If one is willing to sacrifice the output below 30hz, he can use a 1 cu enclosure(internal volume, which is about 14cu cube). Anything below that will result in 1) further reduction in output, and 2) higher distortion (by flux modulation). Smaller boxes are less efficient. It will cause higher flux modulation distortion, more mechanical stress to the cone (therefore more bending, and therefore thicker cone and therefore even heavier cone, and therefore even higher flux modulation.....)

Brian

Rythmik Audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.