AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a complete 5.1 set but the speakers everything except the center MUST be of the size of those BOSE 2 way satellite speakers. Are there any recommendations? I want good sound? Please list me some of all budget ranges. Thanks!

Dont bother recommending bookshelves or anything gigantic like that. This is for my living room and dont want anything big, i need to hide them. thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have no idea what the size of a Bose satellite speaker is but I have a set of Klipsch Quintet Microsystem IIs and am pleased with them. They fill my 13'x16' room quite nicely. They are powered by a Denon 1603 and accompanied by an SVS PCi 20-39.

If I recall correctly I paid $356 shipped for the speakers and $230 shipped for the receiver. I bought the sub from an individual wanting to upgrade to a larger SVS.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Umm Energy Encore series. about 1000 usd including sub.

Mirage OMNIsats. about 1000 usd as well.

Mirage Microsats. about 600.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Satellites all sort of suck, due to the physics of their size (my opinion). How about some tall thin ones? they can be hid pretty well between other furniture pieces ....

I like the Role Audios, Ive heard the Windjammer, and it sounded spectacular over most of the frequency range, it had a little trouble with the piano sound on this one recording, but other than that, you wouldnt have guessed it was so slender.

Their Sampans are only 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep, but are a bit tall (hah)

http://www.roleaudio.com

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
b#$e size huh.....dont even bother with anyting above cambridge soundworks computer speakers.

just a figure of speech.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
All satellite speakers are going to be limited by size but the best small speakers I've heard are the Anthony Gallos.

Speaking of Cambridge Soundworks, I highly recommend the Ensemble IV HT. You can find them ridiculously cheap on ebay from seller: hifi.com. You can get these for around $100 shipped and they have a much more dynamic and natural sound than any of the Bose cubes. They are small cubes just like Bose, and come with a shoe box sized "sub" that reaches down to around 70hz. This means you'll need to get a separate sub. I had my friend buy these for a HT I did for him and I bought them for a HT I setup for my fiancee(w/Infinity IL100 subwoofer). At $100 they're simply amazing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 3 of the Sibs from JMLab as my rear surrounds, and I think they are hard to beat from a price/performance/size standpoint. Here is a picture of the speaker package they recommend (includes a sub). I don't use these for my mains or use this sub, but I think I could with good results.

http://www.focal-jmlab.fr/gb/home/si...ges/pack_3.jpg

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with the vote for either Anthony Gallo or JMLab Sibs...

Note: Gallos just released ceiling mounts for the micros which are really hot. Their Due speakers in the front are great with the micros in the rear (now can be put in the ceiling). They sound very good with their small sub, but without a sub, you have just mid/highs. This setup is very crisp and clear...

The JMLabs are larger than the micros and now have a second color choice (black). They do however sound much fuller and are more efficient than the micros. Add a sub and you get more "fuller" sound than the gallos.

BTW, the gallos really like a good amplifier and can eat power while the JM's are more forgiving...

Good luck!

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.