AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I can forego my purchase of a 5 disc dvd player altogether...I REALLY want SACD playback....they sound truly phenomenal...about all I know for sure , is that they are CD's with higher bitrate and sample rate than a standard 16 bit 44Khz CD....24/96 possibly. They also are encoded with 5 seperate channels of information I believe...I know it is probably too early to be expecting this, but is any software on the horizon that would let me do the usual HTPC trick of 'ripping all your CD's to one monster hard drive worth of (.ape, .mp3, liquid audio, etc,etc,) files' with a SACD?

Another question....My HTPC is still in a planning stage ...I do have a PC I used to do semi-pro multi track recording with. For the HTPC, I'm fairly confident I can get the performance I want without building a powerhouse machine as I have for multi track audio recording....There are mobo+CPU combos on ebay (VIA and a 2.4 Celeron as an example) for around a $100 bucks...sounds like a good deal, and it comes with a SPDIF bracket with the on board audio ,so that I could forego the obviously shoddy DA/AD converters on the mobo , and come out digitally into my Marantz receiver. The question here is, will the digital output be the full nine yards of audio options? ( dolby digital, SACD output, DTS, pro logic...whatever)...also, would these options be set in the HTPC's player software AND my receiver?

One more question....the 'custom made' GUI's for HTPC look intriguing...what is the best of the bunch, and more importantly, can you get away with using a universal remote (ala Theater Master) for selecting things, or is it better to have a wireless keyboard and mouse?

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
No SACD ripping. That's the whole point of the lack of digital interface, so far. They don't want you to copy them digitally.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitz
.....about all I know for sure , is that they are CD's with higher bitrate
Nop, they are not like CD with higher bit rate.

In fact the encoded digital audio stream is completely different from CD.

So IF (at some point (not likely)) a SACD rom drive was made you would have to convert the on-disc-data with some kind of software (not yet made),

to a more familiar format like the DVD audio (which is a kind of "CD's with higher bit rate".

This conversion would most likely alter the sound quality.....so....it's a no go!!!

Quote:
...will the digital output be the full nine yards of audio options? ( dolby digital, SACD output, DTS, pro logic...whatever)...also, would these options be set in the HTPC's player software AND my receiver?
I think so. Not SACD of cause. But the rest, yes, I think so.

Quote:

One more question....the 'custom made' GUI's for HTPC look intriguing...what is the best of the bunch, and more importantly, can you get away with using a universal remote (ala Theater Master) for selecting things, or is it better to have a wireless keyboard and mouse?
I recently asked the same question and got the answer:

Find out for yourself.

Meaning they all have different forces and weaknesses.

Find the one that suits your needs.

Right now I'm trying out myHTPC w. keyboard and mouse.

The mouse and keys will soon be replaced by a ProntoNeo remote.

myHTPC might be replaced also. I don't know yet, but it's possibilities, when requiring the best PQ and audioQ, seems limited.

Henrik

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies....guess I'll have to drop the $$ for a SACD player ....I just love the sound.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
You can get them pretty cheap these days. I got one open box from CC some months ago for

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.