AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious, since it's been a while since we've seen any functionality upgrade or even a GUI update. I think some things need to be fixed (like show-intereference, perhaps with priority levels?). Besides, it's always good to get a software update every once in a while, even for minor fixes :)

Just curious if anybody knew anything.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
I think some things need to be fixed (like show-intereference, perhaps with priority levels?).
Priority levels are already available in the current software.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrecks
Priority levels are already available in the current software.
But only for theme channels, or have you missed that?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Only those who know the answer can not speak to those who do not know the answer.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:
But only for theme channels, or have you missed that?
Where else would you need them?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace987
Only those who know the answer can not speak to those who do not know the answer.
So true.......So very true:cool:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrecks
Where else would you need them?
How about for regular ReplayChannels? In fact, that's the only place I need them, as I don't use theme channels for important stuff. Currently, if 2 shows end up in conflict at some point *after* you scheduled them (e.g. one of them changes time slots or is on a special night), the conflict is resolved by recording the show whose recording you set up earliest in time. Thus, it is a "first in time, first in right" system when it *should* really be based on order of importance to the user. With the fluidity of shows debuting and moving around from season to season, it is impossible to achieve the latter under the current system unless you regularly redo all your recordings so that you setup the most important one first. It is asinine that ReplayTV still doesn't have any way to simply move ReplayChannels up and down in a priority list that it *already* has in some form internally. It should be no more than a few hours of programming.

In fact, if you look at the BMP/BMX graphics files in the ReplayTV file system, you will see that such a project *was* started as far back as the 3xxx era. Why it was abandoned, I don't know. This is the one area where Tivo is clearly superior ReplayTV IMO, and sadly, though this has been pointed out many times by many users, ReplayTV doesn't seem to care enough to devote a few hours of time to it.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
How about for regular ReplayChannels? In fact, that's the only place I need them, as I don't use theme channels for important stuff. Currently, if 2 shows end up in conflict at some point *after* you scheduled them (e.g. one of them changes time slots or is on a special night), the conflict is resolved by recording the show whose recording you set up earliest in time. Thus, it is a "first in time, first in right" system when it *should* really be based on order of importance to the user. With the fluidity of shows debuting and moving around from season to season, it is impossible to achieve the latter under the current system unless you regularly redo all your recordings so that you setup the most important one first. It is asinine that ReplayTV still doesn't have any way to simply move ReplayChannels up and down in a priority list that it *already* has in some form internally.
Exactly.

My workaround has been to install multiple Replays and dedicate individual units to individual networks (except those where I don't record much).

So I have a 5000 for NBC, the biggest problem with their schedule shuffle games.(Satellite, my OTA NBC reception sucks)

A 3000 for PBS (OTA)

A 3000 for CBS (OTA)

A 2000 for Fox, ABC and UPN( Star Trek; Enterprise only) (OTA)

A 5000 for all other satellite /cable programming.

Works for me, I seldom have any collisions or unresolvable conflicts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think that Replay is hoping that everyone solves the problem in the same manner as you. "Why spend time updating the software if people can just buy more of our product in order to solve the problem themselves."

Nearlygod

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Well, I sort of fell into this. As new models came out I just wanted to upgrade, conflict resolution was the last thing on my mind. Then I saw the possibilities....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd love to see a Tivo-like History (with its future reports) and new features, but frankly, I'm happier with the Replay than I've *EVER* been. CA is working great, reliability seems good, I haven't even had it get stuck on a non-subscribed Dish network channel in forever.

My whole vision of Replay has been one of constant serious bugs or minor annoyances. The fact that it just works and works great has made me very happy!! My big worry is what do I do about HDTV, because I don't want to lose CA and show sharing to get it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am happy with the product as well, but my number 1 request would be a way to sort recordings. I like the categories and it has worked great when you are getting started. Hoever, I now have 150+ shows on my replay so finding the new shows or the ones that I have not watched yet, is getting more time consuming. Perhaps adding a viewing field to their database to show what you have watched, or perhaps the number of times that I show has been viewed. Also allowing users to sort by this as well as day, instead of just alphabetically, that would be great for me.

Nearlygod

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
I am just curious, since it's been a while since we've seen any functionality upgrade or even a GUI update. I think some things need to be fixed (like show-intereference, perhaps with priority levels?). Besides, it's always good to get a software update every once in a while, even for minor fixes :)

Just curious if anybody knew anything.
I sent an e-mail to Jim Hollingsworth back in December asking about the lack of news for new products and/or features for ReplayTV. Back then he was listed as the President of the ReplayTV division but their web page now says that Bernie Sepaniak now holds that position.

Anyway, he responded with a bunch of superfluous stuff about ShowNAV, Record on Networked Replay and the other stuff that the last major update gave us. But he also said:
Quote:
"We are currently working on new features for the future and we will begin letting the world know about them next year."
I kind of doubt this since the rumor is that most of the staff is gone, but we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My only hope is that I can always get a program guide and not find myself with a dead device that I can not use due to lack of service.....

Sure I would like to see a better interface.. my main gripe is the lack of saved searches and the way I have to scroll through the on screen alpha/number set to do guide searches.

--David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.