AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Pioneer vsx-74 AVR. I currently have a 720p projector so all's working well. In the near future I'm hoping to upgrade to a 1080p projector, but the 74 won't accept 1080p signals. From what I understand if a 1080p signal is sent to it it won't accept the signal at all including the audio (Am i correct on this point).

I'm wondering if there is a way to work around this. I know the DVDO Edge has an HDMI out with audio only, but at the price I'd pay for it I could trade up to a better receiver. Is there any lower cost HDMI switch with an audio out and a video out? I know there were lots of early HDMI receivers that didn't accept 1080p so I'm hoping somebody makes something.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch /forum/post/18297412

I have an older Pioneer vsx-74 AVR. I currently have a 720p projector so all's working well. In the near future I'm hoping to upgrade to a 1080p projector, but the 74 won't accept 1080p signals. From what I understand if a 1080p signal is sent to it it won't accept the signal at all including the audio (Am i correct on this point).

I'm wondering if there is a way to work around this. I know the DVDO Edge has an HDMI out with audio only, but at the price I'd pay for it I could trade up to a better receiver. Is there any lower cost HDMI switch with an audio out and a video out? I know there were lots of early HDMI receivers that didn't accept 1080p so I'm hoping somebody makes something.

An HDMI port that cannot support 1080p will refuse the whole signal, not only the picture info.

Before you buy anything, try sending 1080i and see if that gives an acceptable result on your new projector, most projectors do at least a decent job to get a good picture, especially for film material (e.g. from Bluray playback).

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

That's what I was planning to do

I thought about getting a DVDO Edge as they have an audio only HDMI out that specifically addresses this issue, but they are selling north of 500$ right now. The other option is to buy a new receiver and sell mine, but that is likely going to be about 400-500$ difference to get similar audio quality.

I would like to get the benefits of 1080p and 24p, but it looks like I might not be able to without some further upgrades.

I was really hoping some company made a simple HDMI switch with an audio only port to address this issue. Many of the initial HDMI receivers didn't accept 1080p if my recollection is correct.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
HDMI audio is part of the video signal, so no switch or similar hardware can split them. There are players with 2 HDMI outputs, but again the price will make a new AVR look cheap.

You don't state how many or what type inputs you have to deal with. Limiting yourself to 1080i is not the end of the world, and 24p isn't something you can't live without either. So, get either a new PJ or new AVR and let the other one wait till you're ready.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts