AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first Desktop HD radio. Has anyone reviewed the Sony XDR-S10HDiP?

Cary

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I was just about to ask the same question. A couple of places claim to have them in stock (J&R, *******), but my nearby SonyStyle store hasn't received any (as of Saturday) and I find zero hands-on reviews online.

I'm wondering 1) whether the tuner section is as robust as that of the XDRF1HD, and 2) how the built-in speakers and associated audio electronics sound. Will the headphone output produce clean sound if used with better powered speakers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dawgs, I was in my Target in Weathon MD, and they have this Radio for $44.99, when i got home i checked on the radio and found out that it cost more the $45 bucks lol.. well i think it's a price mistake but i will check at your target and see if they have it there for this price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow?! Sony XDR-S10HDiP for 50 bucks?! That is a major price mistake. I was at Fry's Electronic yesterday and it was $179.00

I had my iPod Touch with me so put that to the spin. Played the string instrument group Bond on it.

The initial thought was okay for the size. But then realized the bass and treble was set at zero.

After some adjustment, I was amazed at the sound quality out of that little sucker. They had a denon and JVC next to it and the Sony is smaller, cheaper, and better sound quality. No distortion I could hear, no rattle from deep base. Sound rich.

I wish they include a MP3/WMA CD player as well, would've been nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my new 3G iPhone with me to Fry's today and docked it. It started charging immediately and in just seconds was playing my music! Sounded better tha I expected and it could play it plenty loud for the small boom box it is. They are $179.99. I planned on checking the web for specs and advice on them. Now I plan to get two tomorrow. They can also tag songs for iTunes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought two of them yesterday and played around with one of them this morning. They are definately keepers. They seem to be one of the first radios that will dock and charge the new 3G iPhone, which is the main reason I bought them, but the manual lists quite a few iPods that will also play thru it.

This is also the first HD radio I have owned and I was also impressed with how many stations I can pick up. I live in McKinnney, TX and that's around an average of 30 miles from most of the stations broadcasting.

If anyone has a question I can help with, let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell me if this Sony has RCA outputs for connection to a seperate system? I'm looking to use this as a visible desktop control unit, feeding two auto-on amplifiers in the cabinet. Any option to cut audio from speakers? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alins /forum/post/14479787

It has audio in, but not audio out.

That seems like deliberate crippling of the product. Stupid, too, since it just means people who want a dock they can run through an external system or powered speakers will buy something else, probably not a Sony.

You can't even listen to the radio via headphones with this. Stupid.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suppose Sony thinks if you want audio out you'd get the cheaper XDR-F1HD tuner (many radios don't have a line out), but the lack of a headphone connection on a radio is mind boggling. It doesn't make any sense at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alins /forum/post/14452154

One very brief usability review on Crutchfield: Click here .

Here are a few more comments on the Sony. Maybe a couple things on this site will help, but still not the best info.
http://www.hdradioreview.com/html/so...k_radio_t.html

I do have a friend who bought one, and I listended to it for a bit, and it was a quality unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using this unit for a few days now and it took me a couple of days to get the antenna right (had to patch three different cables and hang them outside to get it to work) but I am happy so far. iTunes tagging works well, audio input works well and overall HD Radio experience is satisfactory. What I wish it had was better audio (This unit replaced a pair of Bose desktop speakers so I can really make out the difference).

--asn

·
Registered
14 Posts
BTW, if you are looking only for a good HD Radio experience and iTunes tagging is not something you crave for, the Sony XDR-F1HD (which I also own) connected to a decent audio receiver/amplifier is a very good option. I use the XDR-F1HD with a powered Terk HD Antenna connected to an Onkyo receiver and it seems to match with what the XDR-S10HDiP can deliver with a loooong patched external antenna

Even for non-HD stations, its audio reproduction is better than the built-in FM in the Onkyo receiver.

Of course I have not tried AM but I think the Sony's don't receive AM HD stations do they?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estabulla /forum/post/14818709

BTW, if you are looking only for a good HD Radio experience and iTunes tagging is not something you crave for, the Sony XDR-F1HD (which I also own) connected to a decent audio receiver/amplifier is a very good option. I use the XDR-F1HD with a powered Terk HD Antenna connected to an Onkyo receiver and it seems to match with what the XDR-S10HDiP can deliver with a loooong patched external antenna

Even for non-HD stations, its audio reproduction is better than the built-in FM in the Onkyo receiver.

Of course I have not tried AM but I think the Sony's don't receive AM HD stations do they?

The F1 does indeed receive AM HD, it's just a much trickier thing to get (but that's AM HD in general, it's not as "easy" to receive as FM HD)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are correct indeed. As noted in my other post - someone said they received WBZ 1030 KHz in HD in Boston so I reattached my AM antenna and was able to receive it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have had this unit for about a week. Here is my impression:

The Good

The FM Tuner is excellent for both HD and Analog

The Remote works well for the iPod and Tuner

The Mediocre

The sound quality is fair

The display does not show the iPod information (I only have a Nano and I can't see the screen from a few feet away, I'm thinking about buying a Touch which would be more readable.)

The Bad

The AM Tuner is horrible (even my local 50,000 watt station does not sound good). I am using the supplied wire loop antenna.

I'm using this unit in a small room and I like the unit overall. I am very disappointed with the AM tuner and feel it should be better in a Tabletop Radio. I would like to hear if others are having the same experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought this tonight from American TV....love it so far, the aux input works great for my ZUNE and the AM/FM work really nice with the default antennas, setting the pre-sets on the radio was a piece of cake.

The only issue I have, is when I put my wife's 2nd generation Nano on the dock (with the Nano's supplied dock (not the one in the box supplied by Sony)), it still says 'Cannot Detect'. This is troubling, as the instructions clearly say 2nd generation Nano's are supposed to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts