Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than TWC.

The wait for the STB from TWC is killing me!

Blue

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
The new Mitsu HDTV's have them, as will the Promise Module, when it shows up. But these will still not decode encrypted programing, like I would guess HBO-HD & Showtime-HD would be.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken,

Yes i'm aware of the decoder's built into the new Mits set,but i'm

looking for STB that decodes encrypted programing.

I'm paying for HBO/Showtime and i can't view the HD shows or movies without the box.

Is there some kind of restrictions/Law not allowing other manufacturers to build these STB's?

Thanks again : >

Blue

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Rain

Is there some kind of restrictions/Law not allowing other manufacturers to build these STB's?
Yup. The cableco does not want decoding boxes available from anyone except them, so the mgf. only sells them to the cableco.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Yup. The cableco does not want decoding boxes available from anyone except them, ...
This is the kind of situation that concerns me if the Dish/Directv merger goes through. Currently Dish is the only provider for compatible STBs. Their attitude seems to be, you'll take our STB and like it. At least with Directv you can choose from several brands of STBs. If the only choices we will have left are cable or the "new" Dish then we may not have much choice at all.

Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Yup. The cableco does not want decoding boxes available from anyone except them, so the mgf. only sells them to the cableco.
Isn't that one of the things the "OpenCable" standard is supposed to address - i.e. you should be able to get an off-the-shelf generic box from multiple sources? BTW, why should they need to "own" the box - don't they have the ability to turn on or off the decode remotely?

·
Registered
45,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
This is the kind of situation that concerns me if the Dish/Directv merger goes through. Currently Dish is the only provider for compatible STBs. Their attitude seems to be, you'll take our STB and like it. At least with Directv you can choose from several brands of STBs. If the only choices we will have left are cable or the "new" Dish then we may not have much choice at all.
Independent of the merger, Echostar has previously announced an agreement with Thomson to make & sell RCA brand stb's for Dish Network.

There are a number of potential issues with the merger, but I don't think the stb's are one of them.

·
Registered
45,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaleBarrett
Isn't that one of the things the "OpenCable" standard is supposed to address - i.e. you should be able to get an off-the-shelf generic box from multiple sources? BTW, why should they need to "own" the box - don't they have the ability to turn on or off the decode remotely?
Yup. OpenCable should address this, but not anytime soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.