AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I hope it's not too annoying that I'm asking this instead of researching for hours. I'm looking for a HDMI-out Set-top-box that can stream MKV files (the typical 4.3-8.5gb HD rip variety) without any transcoding. I thought of a PS3 for this purpose, but it can't play 'em straight, not even when booted to Linux, and I think I'll have to continue to just use a PC (I use my MacBook Pro laptop right now which is a hassle to set up everytime I want to watch an mkv movie instead of a HD-DVD) and probably buy a dedicated machine for that - but if I could get a STB to do this reliably, well I'd be happy. Am I dreaming in 2008?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the limhd200i actually for sale? Can't find it on google products (froogle) nor any pricing/buy info on the site. I guess I'll have to actually do the research, but some help on pricing/availability and confirmation that these can stream mkv from a server would be awesome.

Thanks for the input.

*edit* ok I found it for sale for $399 on gendvd.com but I also found the 120+ page thread (nightmare!) and I'm guessing the issue that the 10/100 ethernet doesn't stream higher bitrate mkvs smoothly. So you have to transfer to a hard drive and then play, am I right? The big question is, can you start the transfer and then start playing 5 minutes later, or wait for the 15minutes for the whole transfer to go?

Also, which Tvix do you mean? The $399 one? No mkv support, but maybe you mean another. I could still use some links/info on Popcorn hour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Tvix 4100 can play MKV's via the latest firmware w/out any problems for me. (I actually have the 4110, but I believe the 4100 and up are all capable of it).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I mostly play ISO and IFO rips, but I have tried H.264/AC3 MKVs on my EVA8000 and they play just fine without transcoding. Some users report issues with DTS MKVs on the NETGEAR forums, and I've never bothered downloading anything over 4Mbps, but those work just fine.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/13007500

Is the limhd200i actually for sale? Can't find it on google products (froogle) nor any pricing/buy info on the site. I guess I'll have to actually do the research, but some help on pricing/availability and confirmation that these can stream mkv from a server would be awesome.

Thanks for the input.

*edit* ok I found it for sale for $399 on gendvd.com but I also found the 120+ page thread (nightmare!) and I'm guessing the issue that the 10/100 ethernet doesn't stream higher bitrate mkvs smoothly. So you have to transfer to a hard drive and then play, am I right? The big question is, can you start the transfer and then start playing 5 minutes later, or wait for the 15minutes for the whole transfer to go?

Also, which Tvix do you mean? The $399 one? No mkv support, but maybe you mean another. I could still use some links/info on Popcorn hour.
www.popcornhour.com
http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?n...iewforum&f=179
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/

Also Tvix M-6500A

http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?n...iewforum&f=175
www.digitalconnection.com sell it as well

I wouldn't get the Lim cos the PH is better and $200 less.

10/100 ethernet is perfectly capable of streaming high bitrate .mkv files, hardwired you'll be able to stream pretty much anything (even high bitrate MPEG2 stuff that's like 40Mbps).

Hope that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use SageTV HD extender for that purpose. Need SageTV server on the hosting computer. You will get what you need plus in an affordable package. Less than 300$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts