AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Sony HD-100. Although I'm enjoying HD I'm a bit bummed by the poor interaction of this box with my ReplayTV box. Whenever you enable HD it kills the S-video and composite video outs. This means a great deal of mode switching anytime I watch TV, and it's too easy to forget to switch the Sony box back to normal resolution, which totally defeats any ReplayTV operation.

Is there an available box which can outpur 1080i while keeping the low res outputs active? I honestly don't know if this is an ignorant question from an engineering standpoint, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by ugrading to very expensive products that do one thing very well but end up neglecting very basic functions. If manufacturers are going to make HD this difficult for a gadget-freak they may well have a difficult time increasing the HD market.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Sansung has all outputs active at the same time but,.... if the STB is set to 16:9 for your main monitor the 16:9 format is than squeezed into the 4:3 format to the S-Video and composite outputs. (Everything is tall and skinny). You cannot have 2 different aspect ratios coming out of the same box at the same time. (I hope I made that clear)

This would probably be an unexceptable for recording SDTV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brett is correct, the Samsung 150 has no input for analog. OTA digital only. My understanding is that the Model 200 will have all the same features as the Sony or RCA but it is not available yet Maybe that is why channel switching and guides are so much faster than other boxes I have tried. I still have my analog cable attached to a VCR.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I am not in a suitable location for OTA so the Samsung won't work for me. I hate to do it, but the only work around I see for this is to have my old STB feeding 480i while I utilize the HD-100 into a different input, a "HQ" feed if you will.

This is not so much an issue for me, but I have other family members (who are not very technically adept) using the system. There is no reason why this gear should have to be so unnecessarily complex; you should be able to walk into a room, turn on the TV, and watch. There's no way my fiancee could manage to switch things back and forth and I certainly wouldn't want her to try. Yes, I know I can create some macros on my remote, but my point is why? Seems as though most engineers have forgotten the most basic premise of design: KISS...

I'm done bitching & moaning for the time being; I feel much better now.

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
407 Posts
If Gary is talking about the new Samsung box, you should know it is OTA only. If you are looking for a DirecTV HD box, the Samsung will not work for you.

-Brett

·
Registered
33,443 Posts
Let's not forget that this is why the new generation STBs are an improvement over the old. They DO make life much simpler with the APG. The APG eliminates most, if not all, of the input switching you had to go through depending upon whether your feed was sat, OTA, cable etc. Now you simply "change channels" and let the STB figure out which input to switch to. Add to this those boxes that have native pass-through (Sony & Panny), and you now have the ability to change aspect ratio restored without having to go to your analog outputs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ray,

I agree with you about the simplicity thing. If anyone ever saw my set-up, you would think I was trying to STOP people from watching TV in my apt. I have one of the first Dolby Digital recivers and the the dolby digital inputs are lacking. The DVD input has a choice of optical and coaxial inputs for sound, but the TV input only has a coaxial input. My Mits STB has an optical sound output only. In order to listen to DD on HDTV, I need to run the HD STB through the DVD input on the receiver, the DVD player through the TV input and the cable box through the VCR and then through the VCR input on the receiver. The video on both the DVD and the HD STB are run directly to my front projector. I have this set up with macros, but is very counterintuitive. My wife goes into the bedroom to watch tv instead of playing around with the HD set-up.

Eventually, all of the connectors will work easier and people will be able to sit down and just watch TV. In the meantime, its fun to play with this stuff.

-Brett

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thread has helped me quite a bit, but I need some help to make a final decision. I've got my Tosh 56H80 widescreen hooked up to Replay TV to do ALL my recording of standard analog cable running into the Replay TV.

I do not care about having a SAT dish since I do not watch lots of sporting events nor movies. If the movie is one I want to watch, I'll rent it on DVD.

1. Therefore, if I want the BEST pic quality from my HD ready TV, it would seem that the Samsung box would be the best choice for me. However, I would want Replay TV to record all the shows I want to watch in HD quality for time shift viewing. It would seem that I need the Samsung box to receive both my coax analog cable signal + component video signals from the HD receiver.

2. I do not believe that Replay TV has component video inputs, so I guess I'll have to use the Svideo out from the Samsung box and connect it to S video in on the Replay TV.

3. If I read the thread correctly, Samsung does NOT have an analog input on it's HD box.

4. What is the solution and has anyone heard of a NEXT generation box by Samsung, or others that will avoid the switching problem??

5. Plus, I want Replay to give me a menu which seamlessley integrates analog and HD broadcast signals and records them without me switching back and forth between an analog cable signal and the HD signal.

I'd love to place an order for the Samsung, but not if it will only complicate my life + I would be very unhappy to hear that the new and improved box has just what I need.

Thanks ! Philip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.