AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a couple of years since Sony dropped Superbit, is there any other studio or DVD manufacturer producing dvds with minimal compression for superior video quality? I do like the superbit DVDs for my video library as lower cost alternative to bluray (I have bluray too but I still find that pricing to be excessively priced...I think dvd manufacturers are taking advantage).

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonD /forum/post/15459573

Its been a couple of years since Sony dropped Superbit, is there any other studio or DVD manufacturer producing dvds with minimal compression for superior video quality? I do like the superbit DVDs for my video library as lower cost alternative to bluray (I have bluray too but I still find that pricing to be excessively priced...I think dvd manufacturers are taking advantage).

Superbit DVDs were great when there was no Blu-ray, but I think the market for high quality DVD is getting smaller every day. That being said there are a few movie DVDs like the Star Wars series that are encoded very well and look as good as any Superbit DVD.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonD /forum/post/15459573

As Miata said, interest in DVD quality is dropping. It's hard to find analysis or discussion any more.

Do you look at http://www.dvdbeaver.com/ ? They still do disc analysis, but I don't know if they answer your question on studio performance.

This site: http://www.dvdcompare.net/index.php compares DVD editions, but mostly on features.

I've noticed excessive encoding stinginess on some new releases. I was going to collect more data before reporting.

-Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for late reply, was on business travel and couldnt login due to workload...

Thanks so much for the brilliant replies!

Its a shame that the studios arent still "bit mindful", there are still more dvd players than bluray players...I guess its just not worth it to them

·
Registered
2 Posts
In fact I don't like Japan electronic products, you know many dvds cannot be played if different region on japan dvd player, but will work on some new release, maybe some less popular brand player

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A lot of new releases feature high bit-rate transfers, effectively making them Superbit quality for the most part. This was true then and it's still true now. Although most of the Superbit's I have are still some of my best reference material.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BTW if anyone's interested Fry's recently started stocking some Superbit titles again. Not sure where they got them, must have dug them out of a warehouse somewhere. They weren't beat up or anything, looked like they had just come from the mfr. Don't remember all of the titles but they did have Vampires, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Tommy(!), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Gattaca, etc., all $9.99 and occasionally on sale for as little as $3.99. One nice thing about Superbit releases is that they almost always come w/ a DTS soundtrack option, usually 6.1.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I saw some at the Local Fry's... I have never seen a Superbit in Action is it well worth it over SD DVD. I can swing the $3.99 ...

Steve

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr /forum/post/15704659

I saw some at the Local Fry's... I have never seen a Superbit in Action is it well worth it over SD DVD. I can swing the $3.99 ...

Steve

Superbit was a Sony line of SD-DVD with (supposedly) more generous encoding than the average. The degree of improvement varies from title to title, but if you enjoy the title and it isn't going to be on Blu-ray soon I would certainly pick it up.

-Bill

·
Registered
575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/15705449

Superbit was a Sony line of SD-DVD with (supposedly) more generous encoding than the average. The degree of improvement varies from title to title, but if you enjoy the title and it isn't going to be on Blu-ray soon I would certainly pick it up.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,

I will give a couple a try.... see whats up with it I know they have been going for at least $3.99-$12.99 for a triple pack... Can't hurt. But I have been picking up some BD's for $10.00-$14.00 at Wally World if you know what I mean....

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts