AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a large HD DVD collection - couple hundred or so.

I'm getting lower in space on my rack making my HD DVD player ever more of a pain to maintain there.
I'm semi-considering selling a bunch of them, if not all. (Still not sure).

Has anyone had much success selling HD DVDs? Ebay the best choice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hooboy, quiet around here....

bump

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a collection of about a dozen HD-DVD's, including the Harry Potter box set. I used to play them on an HTPC with a dual format drive, using totalmediatheater. My HTPC died so I built a new one. When I tried to reinstall the old TMT, it would no longer play any discs. The software is no longer supported and patches no longer available. At that point I just donated my HD-DVDs to goodwill since they were unplayable. I knew that would happen sooner or later. But all the movies I had are like $7-$8 blurays now so it's not to bad to rebuy them as I want to watch them. I don't know what I would do with a hundred HD-DVD's. You could try selling them but good luck with that. You're probably better off just donating them and getting a tax deduction back.

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts
Not the classifieds. Buying and selling in the general forums is not permitted.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The ones I've sold were listed on Half.com. I can list them and leave them up there for however long it takes. You could always group them in batches of 10-15 and throw them on ebay/craigslist, but don't expect to get much for them. There are a few releases that still haven't made it to BD, you could try those first.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I had to clear mine out when my daughter was born and some of my family moved in with us. I had a buddy of mine that was still into HD-DVDs and I ended up giving mine to him along with my stand alone player(Odd fact, he now has every HD DVD Player except for the combo player). He gave the duplicates away to a mutual friend of ours with a xbox add-on 360 drive.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had two hundred of them. Sold them as a lot on Ebay about a year ago. Think I got two bucks each. Probably now going for a dollar or less each. Even used Blu-rays aren't worth much anymore, which is why I quit buying them altogether except an occasional 3D.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I'm lucky in that I never owned an HD DVD. However, I have put most of my (1300) Blu Rays onto hard drives and put the discs in storage. (I will do them all but I am out of hard drive buying money) This could be an option instead of selling them. Though I don't know if it's an option you would consider.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
You might want to consider donating to an organization that needs movies.....

Boys home
Ronald McDonald House
Cost free daycare center (we have one and I donated all our kids dvd's)

I would think you would have to donate both a player and the movies. ....but I bet they would appreciate the donation

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is all that remains of my HD-DVD collection. I never had that many titles as I always had a feeling that Blu-ray was going to win and bought most titles on Blu-ray. My player died years ago and id actually like to find another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will never be selling my HDDVDs, I think most of my discs still look fantastic and there are several movies I watch regularly (Scanner Darkly, Clerks II, Equilibrium, Balls of Fury, Timecop). Certain titles still don't have viable options on bluray in my country. Balls of Fury is one title that isn't even on bluray yet from Universal even after all these years. Equilibrium (Japanese version) looks better than most of the bluray releases (except the Japanese bluray) which have the wrong aspect ratios. Twilight Zone: The Movie is hard to find on either format and will probably never be re-released. The Genius label discs like Harsh Times, Clerks II, Matador, besides being awesome movies, are all out of print on Bluray so those discs are definitely worth keeping around, who knows if they will ever be re-released (Weinstein Co sold). The German HDDVD of Resident Evil Apocolypse has a superior mastering than the official Sony bluray release. Terminator 2 (German Steelbook) looks better than my Lionsgate bluray and is my preferred way to watch the Director's cut. The Thing on HDDVD actually has a unique orange color grading in HD (how it always looked on home video) that the Shout Factory Bluray changed blue and that the Arrow Video bluray slightly changed blue, the HDDVD also has less tampering to the master than Universal's own bluray. I have two backup players in the closet if one ever dies, and I regularly use my HDDVD player for normal DVDs also. The format is definitely worth keeping around and may even be worth it for someone to pick up a decent sized collection dirt cheap. As long as you weed out your bad Warner discs and stay cautious of picking those up without vetting them, a HDDVD collection can be relevant for as long as you want, as the format had a bunch of timeless movies dropped on it in the years it was around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts