AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a terrible thing to do but I need an integrated amp or receiver that won't overheat in a cabinet (approximately 20"d x 40" h x 36"w). I've looked into digital amplifiers and found good reviews for the Onkyo A9555 but the lack of preamp outputs (for the subwoofer) is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Previously, a five-year-old NAD C350 was used in this location but it stopped working after a year. It needs to be replaced I would prefer to replace it with something that runs much cooler than the NAD as it would heat up the cabinet considerably.


Any helpful input is appreciated.


Thanks,

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,710 Posts
If you put any heat-generating device into a closed cabinet the heat will accumulate to the ultimate detriment (or destruction) of the enclosed device. I have no suggestions other than to put the device somewhere else or to ventilate the the enclosure. Is there any surface that is sufficiently hidden so that it can accommodate ventilation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14191856


If you put any heat-generating device into a closed cabinet the heat will accumulate to the ultimate detriment (or destruction) of the enclosed device. I have no suggestions other than to put the device somewhere else or to ventilate the the enclosure. Is there any surface that is sufficiently hidden so that it can accommodate ventilation?

Kal, I agree. If it were up to me I would install an exhaust fan through the top of the cabinet and be done with it. However, this is my sister's setup in her living room and she is against having a vent on top of the cabinet (waist high). The cabinet is part of a built-in unit in her living room and is surrounded by a wall on one end and a fireplace on the other. The cabinet is resting on the floor and is covered with doors on the front so that just leaves the top of the cabinet to install a fan. Also, the wiring for the speakers in the living room were run to the bottom shelf in the cabinet so there is not a terribly practical way of placing the equipment in another location.


I'll look into some more ventilation options to see if I can find something less distracing than a 5" PC fan bolted to the cabinet but I do not believe the oddsd are in my favor (or my sister's favor really).


Thanks for the reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfive /forum/post/14192263


Kal, I agree. If it were up to me I would install an exhaust fan through the top of the cabinet and be done with it. However, this is my sister's setup in her living room and she is against having a vent on top of the cabinet (waist high). The cabinet is part of a built-in unit in her living room and is surrounded by a wall on one end and a fireplace on the other. The cabinet is resting on the floor and is covered with doors on the front so that just leaves the top of the cabinet to install a fan. Also, the wiring for the speakers in the living room were run to the bottom shelf in the cabinet so there is not a terribly practical way of placing the equipment in another location.


I'll look into some more ventilation options to see if I can find something less distracing than a 5" PC fan bolted to the cabinet but I do not believe the oddsd are in my favor (or my sister's favor really).


Thanks for the reply.

She can get a subscription to the amp-of-the-month club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
I've got a 40 wpc Rotel integrated inside a cabinet, with a good 6 inches clear above it and a hole in the back for wires. Even after a couple of hours, the amp is barely warm. So it's not impossible. Don't expect a 150 wpc amp to work.


Another possibility is to put a preamp in the cabinet, and a power amp on the floor, out of the way in a corner. Or get two small amps and place them behind each speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14192373


I've got a 40 wpc Rotel integrated inside a cabinet, with a good 6 inches clear above it and a hole in the back for wires. Even after a couple of hours, the amp is barely warm. So it's not impossible. Don't expect a 150 wpc amp to work.


Another possibility is to put a preamp in the cabinet, and a power amp on the floor, out of the way in a corner. Or get two small amps and place them behind each speaker.

What is the model # of your rotel? 30~50 watts would be plenty since this system is used for mainly background music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,946 Posts
Maybe something like Panasonic XR-series of receivers?


I have one and it seems to run at very modest temps, but it's never been enclosed. It's a digital HT receiver (but certainly works in 2-ch too) and has subwoofer/LFE output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
It's the RA-02, no longer available in the States. Check Audiogon or eBay. Or try a current Rotel. I think there's a 60-watter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
With the amount of time and effort to properly ventilate an enclosed cabinet - you could probably just get an open shelf cabinet instead and be done with it.


Sometimes the constraints force a change in 'design'



Erik
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top