AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a antenna amp on my system and didn't see any results!

I have roughly 150 feet from UHF antenna to DTC-100. Good quality shielded RG6 coax. And I get most evey station fine except one. I installed a Radio Shack 10 db gain in line antenna amp and now I get all the other channels the same and the one I'm trying to fix not at all. What up?

Has anybody had any luck with an antenna amp?

Should I try the 20 db version.

The antenna amp has an amplifier near the antenna and the inline booster back near the receiver.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What make and model amp. Is the channel you're trying to get VHF or UHF. Do you have UHF/VHF or just a straight VHF or UHF antenna??

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg

I installed a Radio Shack 10 db gain in line antenna amp and now I get all the other channels the same and the one I'm trying to fix not at all. What up?
Amps only amplify signal. Noise is signal, so it is amplified as well. Some thoughts on your setup:

1) I have never had a positive experience with inline amps

2) I have never had a positive experience with RS amps of any discription

3) Only positive experience has been with B-T; some Winegard and some ChannelMaster mast mounted amps.

4) Regardless of brand, some local stations and FM can "hop" across spectrum causing interference and overloading on other channels

[/quote]

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am not an expert on antennas. However, living in a fringe area all of my life has forced me to gain some experience. Radio Shack antenna components often are criticized on the forums, but have worked well for me. Their antennas are said to be manufactured by one of the major antenna manufacturers. I currently have a VU-190 and a VU-210. Both are used for digital reception, but the first is fixed and the second one is equipped with a rotor. Both are equipped with the RS 15-1109 mast-mounted amplifier, which costs about $60. Without those amps, my analog reception is weak. With the amp in the system, I routinely watch digital broadcasts from Milwaukee, 70 miles away, and if conditions are right, Chicago, 90+ miles away. However, my understanding is that some poor quality amps can introduce noise of their own which can interfere with digital reception. Secondly, if your problem receiving a digital signal is due to multi-path issues, then amplifying that will only increase your problem, not fix it. My suggestion is if you are interested in trying a RS amp, buy the top of the line mast-mounted amp and hook it up temporarily to see if it helps. If not, it is returnable. Many report excellent results with Channel Master and Winegard amps, but be sure you get the right one for the type of antenna you are using, those might be quite as easy to return if they don't work for you.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is what I got fro RS

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1170

It's a in-line signal amplifier. My Antenna is UHF only. I'm only trying to get UHF stations(digital). There are no other stations within 300 miles with the same channel number. The frequency range for the amp is 50-2200 Mhz.

The radio shack website actualy only shows 1 of two pieces. It shows the "booster" but not the amplifier, which is just a small cylinder that screws on right at the antenna connection.

I'm really suprized not to see any results.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I tried the RS Cat.# 15-1113 VHF/UHF antenna amp with an adjustable 0-20dB gain. Not only did it add noise to any OTA broadcast, but the digital channels were no longer receivable (at all!). Once I removed it, all was fine again. I thought I might be able to use the amplifier to receive a low power HDTV signal from about 20 miles away..... oh well. I returned the unit with no questions asked.

dL

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Tryg,

You may want to try a different preamp. I've often seen people say, "all the Radio Shack amps are crap." Nonetheless, I've seen at least one forum member report positive results with a Radio Shack UHF bowtie and the Radio Shack preamp that costs $39.95. He said that the $29.95 one that you have only made poor reception worse.

I'd recommend giving the $39.95 and $59.95 Radio Shack preamps a try. You can always return them if you don't like the results. If you don't get favorable results, give serious consideration to the Channelmaster 7775 or 7777. You could also look into the Winegard 3800 or 4800. Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
957 Posts
I use Rat Shack inline amps with no problems. Make sure if you are using splitters that they pass DC current which feeds your amplifier.

·
Registered
787 Posts
great success with that pos 29 dollar inline amp. I remember the good old days of july 2000, when it only cost 24.95...

Anyway, my results are great except, this thing doesnt like any splitters whatsoever, at least for me anywhere along the cable.

Also, I had the same cooky results when I first got it.. then I figured out I had the stupid cigar pointed backwards!! Im not implying you are an idiot like me, just double check your cigar cause the symptoms you are describing was identical to what I experienced.

Once i had it staightened out, everything works great. In fact, my stupid bow tie is lying facedown in a puddle of water outside...(too lazy to pick it up after a big storm here) and I still get in wnye 25 and wcbs 56. The fox channel is breaking up a bit but it still works. For shorter ranges and mutipath problems, i think the bowtie and the inline amp are terrific.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.