AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an such things as quality (reference?) mini speakers around the same size as bose cube speakers? thanks.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
nope

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
although you might want to check THESE :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrikos
although you might want to check THESE :D
I think that will fit just right in his living room!! :)

WT,

You might want to check out www.roundsound.com I have traveled the route you are traveling, in search of great sounding speakers with the same form factor as the bose, but after many nights and many hours of searching this forum and all of the net, I could not find anything that was that size and going to give the sound that I wanted to achieve.. I have opened my horizons to other options and have found what I was looking for.

Good Luck!

Wu-

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Minimum driver required for decent midrange, let alone "reference" quality is a 4.5". NHT SuperZeros are as close I've seen to small and high performance. No free rides in audio.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"although you might want to check THESE... "

andrikos:

many people come to a forum such as this in search of a little direction from those more knowledgeable - sarcasm and riducule at the poster's expense hardly seems... blah, blah, blah, blah... seriously, thanks for the good laugh; man, i really didn't see it coming and fell right into it! what a great .jpg!

for the rest:

thanks for the links/info - unfortunately these speakers are just a little too big for my setup (restaurant). alas, i think "nope" may be the definitive answer. thanks again.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
For a restaurant, you'd want wide dispersion in-ceilings anyway. NHT has a 3-tweeter model that is perfect for businesses, even though it probably sounds "too good" for the application.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
WT - In no way did I intend to ridicule you. I myself are in the process of replacing my humungi floorstanders for ceiling mounted 5 speaker HT setup for my new home.

So far, from reviews and word on the street (a.k.a. this wonderful forum) I'm settling on the Mirage Omnisat speakers ( www.miragespeakers.com ).

They're not tiny per se but they're pretty compact at 7lbs. They use Mirage's (admittedly different than the norm) omnipolar technology where most (70%) of the sound you hear from them is indirectly radiated to you via wall/floor/etc. reflections. This way you're immerced in a sea of sound and have no idea where the speakers actually are. Even for two channel sound (music). Some people hate it because it's so unconventional, and the people who have them just can't get enough of them.

I myself have never heard them before, I'll have to travel 100 miles (Tucson to Phoenix) to audition. I think I'll be doing it pretty soon.

Take care and tell us what happened.

Andreas

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andrikos:

check out my post to you again and hopefully you will see that the whining part about "ridicule and sarcasm" was just a joke, i.e., blah, blah, blah. i actually thought your post was funnier than hell!

tucson to phoenix, eh? i went to caludge in tempe (asu) and had not been back for some time until recently. was absolutely blown away by how big (developed?) the phoenix/scottsdale/tempe metropolitan area has grown! chandler, apache junction, carefree, etc. all used to be very distinct areas - now they all seem to part of phoenix!

john:

thanks for the input - i'll do some research on the nt 3-t model. the reason i was inquiring about bose size speakers is because i installed a commercial bose setup (business freespace - stereo, cubed, 2l, 2r, sub) in my cafe nine years ago and it is really amazing. the 4 speakers are installed at cieling level, 20' up, and the sound really fills the room - 1,500 sqft. i do not exaggerate when i say that customers comment on the incredible sound at least every other day. unfortunately, this same model is no longer available from bose. i was so happy with my old bose setup (which is still going strong), that i ended up buying a bose acoustimass 600 system for my video setup last year and, i regret to say, it does not really compare to my original bose.

the search continues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WT-46809
an such things as quality (reference?) mini speakers around the same size as bose cube speakers? thanks.
I went through the same for a friend who wanted Bose for his plasma.

I ended up ordering 5 M&K Xenon LCR 25's & V76sub . The LCR 25 , I think they are just 6" tall & 3.75" wide, 4" deep. Not as small as those bose cubes but the best I could find at it size & price. Havent heard them yet though but the drivers look high quality. Cute little suckers too

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check out the following:

Morel SA-2 (Morelhifi.com)

Mirage Omnisat

KEF KHT 2005

JM Lab Sib (if you don't mind buying from the French)

Gallo Micro

Out of the ones I've mentioned, all are better than Bose. But the Morel and Mirage are probably the best. The Gallo and Morel speakers are probably the the smallest. Listen and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah Mirage OMNisats might do the trick for your restaurant. get a few of those. Hang them, up in the ceiling..

Get a few subs.. hide them somewhere. and you get people coming over to your restaurant just because of the music.

heh..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WT-46809
scarab33:

took a look - pricey little buggers, eh?
Yea but it seems they have some flexibility, ended up with a very good number. I went to our local hi-fi shop last night to get banana clips for today’s install. They had home theater on the counter and sure enough there was a review between four systems doing blind listening with 6 reviewers. Systems were :Morel Spiro, M&K

LCR25's(V76sub), NHT-SB2, PSB-Alpha B, .. NHT came in first , M&K-PSB were tied for second, Morel was last. But keep in mind the NHT & PSB use full size bookshelf designs with a 6.5" driver for the NHT & 5.25" driver for PSB. M&K uses a much smaller enclosure with a very small 3.25" driver & 1" softdome tweeter... The reviewers were very surprised at M&K's tiny size and big sound when the speakers were revealed after the test. What more could you ask from such a small speaker ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.