AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a goofy room that will need a 32 in a corner to accomodate the furniture layout. fortunately it is near an ac vent and power and sourcing are all available.... thank goodness i was thinking when i built this room.....

now this corner is 28" on one wall and really long on the other. so it seems 32 will work and 42 prob will not........

got any opinions on what might be a good choice?

ii have looked at hitachi, viewsonic..... and seen a monivision no power on a shelf at a dealer....

none seem to have hd sourcing on them ... I was looking at tubes but they wont fit in that corner....

I am new at the plasma thing so thanks in advance..

Rick

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is a Sanyo that is available at an attractive price of $2500 or so mail-order. I have never seen it, but it's probably not bad (same basic panel as the Hitachi).

I don't know what you mean by HD sourcing. They all have HD capability -- with an external HD tuner for over the air, cable or satellite.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sometimes i write wierd.... i meant by hd sourcing is that every time i go to see a plasma they have some rotten source playing and when you ask them if they can show you the same source as the rear projection (dss hdtv source) they say they cannot....

which brings up another good point,,,, I have a friend that manages a high output electronics store in miami who says the reason they purposly dont source HDTV signals on all the hdtvs is "the ones the store get the best promo that month gets the best sources.. you know the ones that give the best dealer kickback and advertising $$$$

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats good nice drawing..... can i use it? i think a 37 would work if it were edge to edge 37" ....

i think the 32"s are like

width 38.4 inches

Height 19.8 inches

Depth 3.6 inches

Weight 27.5 pounds

thanks for taking the time to figure out what i was saying...

any experience with the smaller plasmas? I dont need speakers or a tuner.....room is wired for sound and i have satellite sources.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If it were me, I would try to maximize the 'viewing' real estate and forego the built-in speakers (which take up valuable space).

Non-consumer (industrial) models as illustrated:

The 37" Panny's are 36.2"w x 21.6"h

The 42" Panny's are 40.2"w x 24"h (this one is a little to wide, unless you mount at some angle other than 45 degrees.)

You will have to check on the other brands w/out speakers for their widths, I just happen to know the Panny's off the top of (Glauco's) head.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Hitachi 32" has a wonderful HD image, but it has built-in speakers, that you can't get rid of.

I still can't recommend a Hitachi plasma until I can get something resolved regarding the horrid SD image quality I'm getting from my 42HDT20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i did a prelim search on the panasonic and see it is like 2400 bucks already in my price range....

now for the details any problems with the panasonic being 852 x 480 over the hitachi being 1024 x 852......

what does the panasonics input panel include....

I need 15 pin dsub for a PC

sorry to pound you with ?s

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Inputs on the TH-37PWD6UY:

1 S-Video / Composite (*See note below).

1 Component / RGB

1 VGA / Component (D-sub 15-pin can also be configurated to acept component)

* The S-Video/Composite inputs on Panasonic Plasmas are shared. You have to use either one. With both cables connected S-Video disables Composite

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so one of the links i am looking at on TH-37PWD6UY has no HDTV mention altough i am sure it is .

i am wondering what i would expect to see in comparison to the hitachi which has a res of 1024 x 853

the panasonic has 853 x 480,,,,,,, i read this explaination of the lower res being better for the home theater and would like to see if this holds true in anybody's real life experience....

thanks Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.