Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with a new AVR, and a likely weak optical signal,

it works thru one input (DVR) but is not detected when i switch it over to another (STB). is this likely an issue of the alignment of the receptor? dust or dirt? some kind of filter/gain distinction between the inputs? with a stronger signal, as the one from my STB, both connectors on the AVR work fine.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
All of those are possible. It could also be a defective SPDIF receiver, the cable (maybe switching the input changes some angle enough to screw something up), or many other things.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
What receiver are you using? Some receivers have problems detecting optical signals from certain stb boxes. There seems to be a problem with some Dish receivers and the Pioneer 1014 receiver, for example.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
What receiver are you using? Some receivers have problems detecting optical signals from certain stb boxes. There seems to be a problem with some Dish receivers and the Pioneer 1014 receiver, for example.
japhule-

it's not that.

the receiver has 2 optical inputs, side-by-side. they both work with each of my STB, DVD player and HTPC.

but, with a weak signal (a 100 foot optical run from another AVR), one input works while the other doesn't.

it's like, i'm wondering if they slap the optical receptors in there, if they can be out of line, dirty- i'm asking if anyone knows what trick(s) someone can use to improve the reception of optical. should i use a q-tip with alcohol, is it seeping light, ..? i would assume the two inputs are identical in hardware and config and are only labelled with different names.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is it just one jack that has the problem? If you switch the DVR and STB around, does the problem affect the other component? I know that some STBs have different types of digital signals, at different sample rates that not all receivers can sync to. If the problem really is only on one jack, are there software settings for the receiver to allow different types of inputs? (44.1 khz, 48 khz, 96 khz, etc)

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
100' is well outside the spec, which is 10 meters or about 33'. You are definitely in crapshoot territory. Just be thankful that one input works.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G
Is it just one jack that has the problem? If you switch the DVR and STB around, does the problem affect the other component? I know that some STBs have different types of digital signals, at different sample rates that not all receivers can sync to. If the problem really is only on one jack, are there software settings for the receiver to allow different types of inputs? (44.1 khz, 48 khz, 96 khz, etc)
they each work switched around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what your experiencing but if it helps I had a audio syncing problem with my Comcast STB and my Onkyo ARV.

It had a hard detecting the signal. Receiver would just click, click when I changed channels as it was trying to detect the audio format.

Upgrading to the DCT-5100 helped this problem, but did not solve it completely.

The solution to the problem was to get the DCT-6200 STB. It solved my problem completely.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've seen some digital optical repeaters that may help. 100' is too long. You can also try an optical to coaxial converter and try to have a long coaxial run instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.