AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience and thoughts on the use of the Leeza with the Dila from JVC? I also posted this thread on the projector forum.

I think the Leeza is the way to go, but was curious about feedback and any pros or cons for or against the unit. Also any personal takes are appreciated. Is the unit easy to manage and do you control it with a pronto or a crestron type of system. Any help is great, as always.

thanks,

Pat

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I have the G11 and the Leeza. This is my first scaler so I have nothing to compare against. Except for the insane inputs on the back, the scaler is very easy to use. I use the sdi feature and it does make a nice difference.

Picture quality is beautiful

Build quality seems excellant and the service provided by Key Digital is outstanding.

I use the remote it comes with so I cant tell you about pronto or crestron system. I know that it doesnt have discrete codes, but I think the manual has codes to use with the crestron type of systems.

Although the inputs are insane, the manual tells you exactly how to connect to them, so while its cumbersome, its easy to do.

I am personally very happy with it.

Anything in particular you want to know?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Danny, does the Leeza have onscreen menus and, if so, how do you like them? Is there anything you don't like about the Leeza, and anything you have had problems with? Any idea how the picture quality or ease of use compares to the Rock+? How easy is it to upgrade the Leeza, assuming it is upgradeable? (I have a Rock+, which I like very much and have never had a single problem with, but I may be forced as a result of unusual circumstances to switch to a Leeza or other product.)

Pat, hope you don't mind me adding a few questions to your original post, but I figured they might help you also.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Leeza has onscreen menus which are pretty much identical to the Rock plus or so I hear.

Upgradablity has been an issue due to the agreement between Taw and Key Digital. The final answer was that that KD could upgrade through the internet any software bugs, but any real upgrades had to be done in house. Since the Leeza has come out about 6 months ago, their has been one internet update, the most significant upgrade being adding 1366x768 resolution. I am sure their was other fixes in it, but nothing that was obvious.

Now having said that, the Taw and KD have split so everything I mentioned above is no longer true. However, while I know that the Leeza will be fully supported and will be upgraded for bugs if any , I dont think there will be any substantial upgrades coming done the pike.

Why do I say this? , well because KD will be coming out with a new scaler due to the TAW/KD spit. The new scaler will not use the operating software they currently use in the Leeza (which is licensed from Taw) and will probably but I have no idea if this is true, include a higher version of their Clearmatrix deinterlacing software. The new scaler will probably upscale HD. KD is also coming out with HD scaler that will integrated into Leeza.

Current users of the Leeza will have an upgrade path to the new scaler. In order words, we will get a good deal if we buy the new scaler and supposedly get a really good price on the HD scaler for the Leeza.

Picture quality seems great. But since I never had a fp before, I really dont see any of the problems the greats on the board see. Addtionally, I wont know if the problem was cause by the projector or the scaler. In anycase the picture is beautiful and I really have no complaints about it.

The only thing that I could say negative about the Leeza is its lack of test patterns. I could kill to have Mark Rejhon perfect pixel test pattern as part of the scaler. Now having said that, when the menu is accessed, part of the menu has a checkboard on it and Mark once told me that you can use it when adjusting the pixel clock. All I can say is that being that its a small checkerboard, its easier said than done.

I dont think you can go wrong with the Leeza, its a great machine and a great company stands behind it. If you get b stock than I dont know how you can go wrong for the money. If money isnt an issue, I dont know if waiting for their new scaler isnt the thing to do. Then again, it probably wont come out until next year.

·
Banned
959 Posts
you should consider the rock as well as the leeza. I believe it works very well with the jvc. In fact, if i remember correctly, at last years NAB jvc kicked the faroudja to the curb and used the rock. I own a rock, but not a g11.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys!! Great information. Jason at AVS did say that they have B stock available with an SDI DVD player for a great price. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

This forum is always a big help for me. Thanks again!!

Pat

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Will the B stock units be elidgeable for the forthcoming upgrade/ trade-up to the new LEEZA?

JEff

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff,

Spoke with don today at KD. He said nothing about a trade in program like Lexicon has had. Also he said that there will be no software upgrades to the leeza. So basically we could wait for the new KD unit after CEDIA, or buy the B stock Leeza at a good price. I don't think that I can wait any longer.

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.