AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40s for almost half the retail price. I was wondering if anyone have listened or owned these and what are their thoughts. I tried searching on AVS and google for reviews but could not find anything.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Well, I really liked the Motion 12 speakers. In fact they really opened my eyes to folded ribbon tweeters. I don't own any of the Motion series, but judging by the changes between the 12's and 40's, I would say this seems like a great deal.

Keep in mind that the 40's are rear ported so you will want at least 2' or more between the speaker and rear wall.

I say go for it. Great price, and the folded ribbon tweeter on the Motion series really is clear and articulate, good for movies and music.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Somedude1, I've heard the Motion 40's. I feel that they are a good buy...especially at your price. What electronics will you be using? What speakers are you using now?

Have you heard the Motion 40's yet? If so, what was your take on what you heard from them? What other speakers have you heard?

Sparks81

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'll be powering them with a Pioneer sc 35. I'll be moving up from a pair of old infinity kappas 6.1s. I listened to them at bestbuy and I thought they sounded better than the b&w 683s. They seemed to have more volume to them and not as bright. However, being a noob to the audio game, i am not completely sure of what sounds good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you end up with the motion 40's ? If so how are you liking them? Im having a hard decision between them and the monitor audiio rx6.going to be a 5.2 setup but im unable to hear both at the same place.Both sound good but im leaning toward that ribbon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm also looking out to consider buying my first pair of floor-standing speakers & considering the Motion 40 vs Paradigm Monitor 11. So it would be great if any Motion 40 owners can share their piece of mind about the speakers. Heard that they are crap for MP3 & similar compressed files from within the forum.

·
Registered
550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepauljoseph  /t/1421409/any-thoughts-on-martin-logan-motion-40s#post_24178270

I'm also looking out to consider buying my first pair of floor-standing speakers & considering the Motion 40 vs Paradigm Monitor 11. So it would be great if any Motion 40 owners can share their piece of mind about the speakers. Heard that they are crap for MP3 & similar compressed files from within the forum.

The review said they were transparent so if you source file is not great, it will reflect that. I don't see that as an cons but as a pro. Don't forget these review are done by pro that can be nitpicky at time. I am in the same dilemma. I am thinking Motion 40 or Paradigm Monitor 9/Studio 60.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude1  /t/1421409/any-thoughts-on-martin-logan-motion-40s#post_22242113

Thanks for the input. I'll be powering them with a Pioneer sc 35. I'll be moving up from a pair of old infinity kappas 6.1s. I listened to them at bestbuy and I thought they sounded better than the b&w 683s. They seemed to have more volume to them and not as bright. However, being a noob to the audio game, i am not completely sure of what sounds good.

Either are fine, but after you put them in your room and run MCACC (good idea) what you have will be miles from the store demo - probably better. The room is a major determiner of sound quality - to the extent that the speakers will sound more like the room than any characteristic sound they have on their own.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepauljoseph  /t/1421409/any-thoughts-on-martin-logan-motion-40s#post_24178270

I currently sell the Martin Logan Motion line and used to sell the Paradigm line at my old place of business. Two different animals. It comes down to the high's for me, the folded motion tweeter of the Motion 40 sounds much smoother than the satin aluminum tweeter of the Monitor 11. Both will produce good bass with the right electronics. Be warned, the only down fall to the Motion 40's is that they are 4 ohm and if you are running them full range on a receiver, you will have a hard time if you like to listen loud. Most receivers will not enjoy and go in to protect.

·
Registered
19,081 Posts

Quote:
I currently sell the Martin Logan Motion line and used to sell the Paradigm line at my old place of business. Two different animals. It comes down to the high's for me, the folded motion tweeter of the Motion 40 sounds much smoother than the satin aluminum tweeter of the Monitor 11. Both will produce good bass with the right electronics. Be warned, the only down fall to the Motion 40's is that they are 4 ohm and if you are running them full range on a receiver, you will have a hard time if you like to listen loud. Most receivers will not enjoy and go in to protect.

I absolutely love my Motion 40's ( and the other Motion series speakers in my 11.2 set up ). Watched Django Unchained fairly loud last night - sounded outstanding. The Denon 4520 is rated for 4 ohm, and that is one reason I got it. With a SVS cylinder sub handling the LFE, I can play action movies as loud as I want ( which is usually louder than my wife wants
) without any problem. Runs pretty cool. It ran 9 channels of Martin Logan 4 ohm speakers by itself just fine. With a 2 channel 150 watt / channel amp, it can play all 11 speakers at reference level without breaking a sweat.

I'm loving it !

·
Registered
423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb  /t/1421409/any-thoughts-on-martin-logan-motion-40s#post_24181071

I couldn't be happier with my Motion 40s (in addition to my Motion 30 center & ML LX16 surrounds) ... I'm running them with a Marantz SR5007 AVR.

During the warmer summer months (anything approaching 75 degrees or more) the SR5007 can and does get quite warm ... it has not, however, gone into protect mode. I bought a small fan from Cool Components (CP - DF) and run it during the warm weather at about 2/3 for movies & TV or 1/2 speed for my classical music and opera videos (too loud @full speed) ... I was also crossing over @ 90db and letting my Dynamo700 help out with the low frequency load ... and, (I'm not sure if it helps or not) bi-amping the Motion 40s.

This summer, having upgraded my sub to dual SVS SB2000s, I'll be crossing over to the subs @100hz to further help out the Marantz SR5007.

But to reiterate, during cooler weather (anything under 70 degrees ... we don't engage the AC much during the summer until the temp exceeds 85 0or so), the Motion 40s/30 4 ohm load and theLX16s' 5 ohms seem to be OK with my AVR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts