AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have never seen the DWIN, but I'm pretty sure it is a single chip DPL with XGA resolution (1024x768). It only comes bundled with a transcanner, so I assume that the projector itself will only sync to its native resolution and possibly a single refresh rate. IMO, the DWIN is quite pricey. From what saw a couple of months ago, it goes for at least $6-7K street.

I believe that the NEC LT-150 is very similar in features and streets several thousands of dollars less (around a 1/3 the price of the DWIN). Given this, I wouldn't even consider the DWIN.

Both are single chip DLPs, but I'm not sure if the DWIN uses a RGB-Clear wheel like the LT-150 or not. If its only a RGB wheel, it may perform a little differently.

I'm sure that DWIN will also exhibit the dreaded rainbows just like the LT-150. Please review some of the posts on the LT-150 for details on this.

I think the DWIN is "yesterday's news". Unless you can get a awesome price on it, I think there are better alternatives at this price point. The new Sharp z9000 (?) with an RGBRGB wheel comes to mind. The RGBRGB wheel is supposed to dramatically reduce the rainbow effect.

[This message has been edited by belmore (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Texas,

Now that I have a single-chip DLP, I agree with Belmore's suggestion that rainbow reduction is a major goal when shopping for DLP.

In fact, if I was shopping for a DLP, I would put 'Rainbow Reduction' right at the top of the list of criteria, along with contrast and brightness factors.

If you can get a double-speed color wheel, 6 segment wheel, no white section, "Archimedes" wheel, etc. do it. I find the rainbow effect terribly annoying.

Even better, with your budget, you should seriously consider a 3-chip DLP or 3-panel D-ILA and eliminate the spinning wheels completely.

Having said all that, I haven't lived with a DWIN, so I can't speak to the rainbow of that particular unit.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen a DWIN extensively and the rainbow effect is minimal IMO.

My options seem to be:

DWIN 10K

Yamaha 8K

Seleco 7K

Sharp 9-10K

My screen willbe around 120" because my room is rather large 24x22.

With all due respect, I think the rainbow effect is way over-blown.

Thanks again.

Greg

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
With all due respect, I think the rainbow effect is way over-blown.
Some people see it more than others apparently. How much time have you spent with a DLP? On some material, the rainbow effect is not apparent. On some DVDs, I found it distracting enough to think its an annoyance and that's when I was only spending about $3K on the LT-150. No way would I tolerate it on a projector that cost $6K or more.

I'm suprised that you don't seem interested in the LT-150. Does its cheap price turn you off? If the rainbow effect doesn't bother you, I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not auditioning this value priced DLP. I tried out the LT-150 on a 110" 16x9 2.0 gain screen. In a darkened room, the brightness was not an issue.

I'm also surprised that if you are willing to spend up to $10k, a D-ILA didn't make your list. FYI, some of your prices seem high. Are these street or list prices?

If you serious about the DWIN, email me privately for a reference to an internet dealer with a very competitive price on the transvision.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Texas,

When you have a few hours to spare do a search for D-ila, or g10, g11, g15, jvc ...on this forum. Also in your price range you should seriously give the folks at AVS a call. Heck for that money chat with them a little and pop for a plane ticket to go see whats what in their showroom.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Dwin is a great machine, the only question is,are you susceptible to rainbow artifacts? If the answer is no, then its a great plug and play machine that has a great image, preprogrammed to use the panamorph lens and can to HD. AVS had or has some used ones in stock with very low hours at well below market price.

You however, much first see if you are sensitive to the rainbows.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have had the Dwin for a while now and it is a first rate machine. I am very happy with its image and its operation. Its a true plug and play machine that handles all my sources with ease (9 inputs). One of the great things about the dwin is it can handle the Panamorph (Anamorphic) lens in a plug and play way that is absolutely dead easy.

Having used the Panamorph on the Dwin I must say its a "must have item" and if you think the standard Dwin image is very good wait till you see it converted to 16:9 via the Panamorph (what an awesome picture).

Since this is a very DILA orientated forum I must say the rainbow issue is a do you or don't you thing.

My wife and I have yet to see a rainbow on the Dwin, so we are very happy. We did however see effect this on some buisness units so we know what it is.

But I must agree the consistant rainbow thing is a little tiring when you do not see it as an issue. If you do see it then fine but I get the feeling its like the LCD screendoor issue. It worries those with other agendas or those who need to just whine about something. As I always say if you have a drama with it do not buy a Dlp. Its that simple.

Even after a big movie night only two of my freinds out of 12 or so present, saw this effect on my unit. Both said it was not a big issue and they would not consider it a major buying negative. Both said it was only noticable in one or two parts of certain dark scenes on Gladiator. Of course YMMV.

I am very pleased with my purchace and am soon to get the Panamorph to finish it off so we will be happy little campers very soon.

DavidW

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so how much is the panamorph...sounds like it should be chasing Segorney Weaver not showing her on a screen.

Is the panamorph the scaler that is supposed to come with it OR is a fix for the 4:3 chip?

Help...I like the Picture and can see no rainbows so...

GigEm

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the link, Dave, that was very helpful. I am still confused a little, however.

Let's say you have a 16:9 screen and a 4:3 projector. When you display a 16:9 image on the projector you would normally get black bars on the sides (because the screen size is horizontally bigger than the 4:3 image that the projector gives) and you would also get black bars on the top and bottom (because that's how a 4:3 projector displays a 16:9 image).

Now tell me where the panamorph goes from here. Does it zoom in and bring the image up to the full screen?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Panamorph is a physical add-on that stretches images horizontally to use every pixel in a 4x3 to fill a 16x9, in effect turning a 4x3 projector into a 16x9 one. After that, it acts like any native 16x9 TV. To watch regular TV you can fill the screen (chopping off the top and bottom -Goodbye subtitles and hairlines), you can show a small 4x3 centered with black vertical areas on the sides, or you can stretch the picture to something in-between.

Discussing panamorph before projector is putting cart before horse. Seleco HT200DM has 16x9 mode using 480x848 pixels. 480 is VERY significant since it matches 480p progressive scan output of DVD players. Hence, no scaling required, no de-interlacing since it's progressive, no artifacts associated with those processes!

Or, putting extra money toward D-ILA gives such a bright, hi-res picture that just using middle of pixels (a la letterboxed) is plenty darn gorgeous. Besides, I like to watch regular TV as much as widescreen, and these two machines give best of both worlds.

Randy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Awesome. Thanks, Randy!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I owned the Dwin for several weeks. I now own a G-15 DILA. While I am susceptible to the rainbow effect and thus cannot watch a single chip DLP, even putting that aside, I think the DILA is a significantly better projector for about the same price. If you have more than $9K to spend on a projector, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't check out the DILA's (and also if you don't watch the Dwin for a least 2 to 3 hours on rainbow-sensitive DVD's to make absolutley certain you are not susceptible to it).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Greg,

Did you see the DWIN in Houston? If so, where?

-phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.