AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put together a good Home Theater for a buddy. I'm very satisfied with my Infinity 5.1 set and Onkyo receiver. He's looking to spend no more than $2,000 for everything.

Any thoughts on the Infinity TSS-1200 5.1 set? They look very cool and I'm sold on the Infinity systems.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/19543040

Looking to put together a good Home Theater for a buddy. I'm very satisfied with my Infinity 5.1 set and Onkyo receiver. He's looking to spend no more than $2,000 for everything.

Any thoughts on the Infinity TSS-1200 5.1 set? They look very cool and I'm sold on the Infinity systems.

How big is the room - and what else are you buying with the

$2000. There are other options besides Infinity.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil /forum/post/19543160

$2000 for speakers that won't reach below 120 Hz, unless WAF is a huge deal that has to be a no go.

$2,000 is his complete budget for the whole HT system (w/o the HDTV). He's room is pretty big and open (no idea on the dimensions), but since we're stationed overseas and two years from now he'll be moving somewhere else I jsut want to help him get something descent and reliable.

I'm thinking the TSS-1200 with the Onkyo http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+...=1218183109742 TX-SR608 receiver.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/19543198

$2,000 is his complete budget for the whole HT system (w/o the HDTV). He's room is pretty big and open (no idea on the dimensions), but since we're stationed overseas and two years from now he'll be moving somewhere else I jsut want to help him get something descent and reliable.

In a pretty big and open room - you need sats with a bigger woofer.

They also need to play lower than 120hz. Where were you planning

to buy the speakers from?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the TSS-1200 though the Infinity site, so I don't have a place to buy them from yet, although I did see them on Amazon in black for just under $900.

It's not the right approach but I give appearance about the same priority as performance. In 2005 I bought the Infinity 5.1 Modulus and not only do they look great they sound awesome, IMO. For example I know that many book shelf models have great components, but having a simple box there is not appealing to me. I/we mostly use them for day to day TV, movies, and music at times. Having the closest thing to professional sound is not what we're looking for mostly because of budget. Taking advantage of your attention, is there a 5.1 set you guys recommend for less than $1,200?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Your friend will be much better off with a Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 or the ProCinema 800

Even with your $2000 budget you can do ALOT better audio quality wise than the Infinity's... Don't be a ***** and recommend your buddy something that it of the same quality as yours when he can afford more

Heck the HSU Enthusiast 2 is with in budget just add a receiver like the Pioneer VSX-1120-k and you are golden. Your friend won't wanting to be coming to your house those as this set up will be a few steps above yours

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like those to options crazyrob, they meet the requirements of appearance and performance. I would never what him to get something that performs worst than mine, but the Modulus are not made any longer so I went for the highest level Infinity had in its HT line (TSS-1200).

Keep'm coming guys, I want to be able to recommend the best for his budget. Of course I still need to recommend a receiver ($600-$700) and a BR player ($100-$200). The rest is cables and some mounts for the rear.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
I thought you needed room for a Blu-ray player and receiver. Look at

Denon or Pioneer for receivers, and look at Pansonic or Denon players

in your price range. Check the receiver and Blu-ray forums.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil
$2000 for speakers that won't reach below 120 Hz, unless WAF is a huge deal that has to be a no go.
I know this is an old post, but I need to correct the misinformation. The 120 Hz is for the sat/center speakers. The website is wrong. The sub specs are 29Hz – 150Hz

First and last page of owners manual attached.

TSS-1200.pdf 136.478515625k . file

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts