AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any opinions on the 27" Toshiba 27DF47 SD television?

(oops, can't give a link because I'm a new poster)

I was thinking about getting the Sony KD-27FS170 but its a more expensive and does not have any audio outs on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I don't know if the Toshiba 27DF47 is ANY DIFFERENT than the current 27DF46?

The last number obviously specify's the year of the model(7=2007 and 6=2006).

They don't look any different.

They are both(I assume) made by ORION, who make the CHEAP/LOW END tv's for Toshiba.

You can get a closeout 27DF46 at Sears for like $249+tax, which is a pretty good price for a cheaper SDTV.

If you get the Sony, you will pay more, but most people feel they are more reliable than the Orion made Toshiba's.

I don't know. Al the Tosh's I see look pretty good for the price. Plus, you may get lucky and find some ORION badged 27" SDTV's at WalMart for like $160 or less.

I saw one that was a shelf model a couple of weeks ago for $155+tax. It had everything, but it wasn't turned on so I couldn't tell you about the picture on the set.

It has the same user interface, and tube for that matter, as the badged Toshiba's. But for about $75-$100 less because the name on the front does not say Toshiba.

I think some people have bought those Orions over this past Christmas during the BLACK FRIDAY sales, and for the most part(not all, some were duds) people were pleased with the SDTV capabilities of such a cheap set (ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners).

Unlike the Sony FS170 models which only have an ATSC/NTSC Tuner. No QAM.

There FS130 series had the QAM tuner as well, but good luck finding those anywhere other than EBay.

·
Registered
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/0

I think some people have bought those Orions over this past Christmas during the BLACK FRIDAY sales, and for the most part(not all, some were duds) people were pleased with the SDTV capabilities of such a cheap set (ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners).

I have one. Still works fine so far.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the 27DF47 in short supply? No where local has it in stock and the BB web site is quoting June 30 as the first available delivery date. On line I have seen sites accepting orders against future deliveries. Also did Toshiba just drop the MSRP on these sets t $299.99? Have they changed something to make them cheaper? Thanks.

Red.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reduno /forum/post/0

Is the 27DF47 in short supply? No where local has it in stock and the BB web site is quoting June 30 as the first available delivery date. On line I have seen sites accepting orders against future deliveries. Also did Toshiba just drop the MSRP on these sets t $299.99? Have they changed something to make them cheaper? Thanks.

I bought mine last week online at Newegg. They have it for $299.99 + $50 shipping. I also bought an extended replacement plan as there is a no return policy on bulk items at newegg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the info Wasabisnooter. As it turns out a local Kmart just got several sets in. They also have a clearance 30DF56 (still in box), which I am considering. Do you have any first impressions of the 27DF47? Thanks,

Red.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I got a used shelf model 27D46 from Sears the other day for $122 out the door.

I took it home, and hooked it up.

Got all the analog, and CLEAR QAM stations that are offered by my cable company. But BOY! did the channel scan take FORVEVER!! I never thought it would finish.

I notices that the digital channels were off kilter(off center/overscan very badly to one side), so I decided to see if there was a service menu to get into this thing.

I found it, got into it, wrote down all the values for all the changeable items, and fixed to my liking the overscan/geometry of the Toshiba. I didn't care if I screwed it up badly since it was well within 30 days of purchase, and I only paid $122 for the thing.

So far, after calibration with the DVE DVD through component, I am MORE than pleased with my purchase.

This set is a nice addition for such a cheap price. Even if it does not last long, the price alone I paid for it will make it well worth it as a 3rd TV option in the house.

Overall(there are some quirks, but not major), I really liked this Toshiba BADGED Orion TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the set so far... I've been running it a lot and have just over 100 hours all fullscreen at really low brightness and contrast to kinda break it in. The geometry isn't too bad, it kinda stretches the image vertically at the top of the screen (noticeable when the credits roll up the screen) but overall I love the picture quality. I haven't had a crt set in a while and it was cool to see those shiny whites and dark blacks I used to enjoy when I still had my old 27" wega.

The audio is nothing spectacular, which is why I'm glad there's audio out on the back. There aren't any options in the menu for adjusting bass or treble either. Great.

My biggest problem with the set is that the composite video in and s-video in on the back share the same input spot on the tv, so when my ps2 (s-video) and vcr (composite) are both connected, only the ps2 will be displayed. I have to take out the s-video connection in order to display what's plugged into the composite input. The only other option is to plug the vcr into the composite inputs on the front of the tv, which just looks stupid.

Also, why is there only 1 input for audio on the back? The component, s-video, and composite inputs on the back share that 1 audio input. I had to dig up my old a/v switcher to get my 3 devices hooked up to the tv. Wtf, man.

Overall, I like the tv, mostly for the nice picture it puts out but it really does leave out stuff that should be there like more audio inputs on the back. I'm gonna use it mostly for watching older stuff like vhs home videos and any 4:3 dvd material, and also playing 480i 4:3 ps2 games that look utterly horrible on my lcd hdtv. I have yet to try it with my digital/hd cable box or over the air programming so I can't comment yet on how broadcast tv stuff look on the set.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
wasabisnooter,

Are you sure that your TV does not have controls for the BASS/TREBLE/BALANCE under the Audio Sub-menu on your 27D47?

Those are pretty standard in TV's. Even really cheap ones like these.

My 27D46 has them, and your right about the audi from the speakers. Pretty bad, but not horrible. At least not compared to the speakers on most TV's in this price range.

Even alot of LCD's and PLASMA's have pretty lousy speakers.

But since you can connect it to an 5.1 or better receiver through a coaxil cable from the back, you can get the audio that way. Although not being able to get the audio out from the coaxil through analog channels though. You would have to output the RCA Red&White audio for that.

Has anyone tried the RCA outs on this set for the analog? Is the audio FIXED or VARIABLE?

I hope it is FIXED, so you don't have to raise the volume to get proper audio from analog or a inputed source like a VCR.

The broadcast stuff looks pretty good. Not great, but good.

The SDTV through CLEAR QAM looks very good, especially after calibration using DVE.

Here are my setting for SDTV/ANALOG channels on the Picture menu through Clear QAM:

Brightness 28

Contrast 32

Color 18

Tint +3

Sharpness 11

Here are my settings for COMPONENT INPUT for DVD Playback:

Brightness 33

Contrast 38

Color 18

Tint +3

Sharpness 13

It's nice that it has seperate menu settings for the inputs, and then the channels themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steelersrule,

I guess they changed the menus and features from the 27D46 to the 27D47. I only have 3 simple menu categories and there is absolutely no sign of any audio settings except for closed captioning and SAP. The audio button on the remote only controls the SAP setting and treble/bass controls are not shown anywhere in the manual either. No big deal though as I can use the FIXED RCA audio out on the back if I want better sound.

I also noticed that on my particular set, my contrast and brightness can be set within the range of -32 to +32. I keep brightness at exactly 0 which is fine, but when I try to go below 0 on the contrast, it doesn't get any darker (0 looks the same as -32 and everywhere in between). Basically its like the only range I have with contrast is from 0 to +32. Oh well... but I don't really plan on making the contrast any lower than 0 anyway

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking at the Toshiba website, there are some differences in the audio specs for the two models.

27DF47

MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx

Double Baffle Stereo Speaker System

2 Watt Audio

27DF46

MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx

Surround Sound

Double Baffle Stereo Speaker System

StableSound

It looks like there are probably some hardware differences between the two models.

Red.

·
Registered
176 Posts
After reading information about tons of TVs (especially on this forum!), I decided to buy the Toshiba 27DF47 last week. The TV looks great, and I like being able to get 8 HD channels (all the locals + Universal HD) for free with the QAM tuner.

I've noticed one slight issue, and was hoping someone with service menu experience might know if there is an answer. While watching the HD Jericho repeat premiere last Friday, I noticed that the middle of the 16:9 area dips down a bit (about 1/8"). As I've watched other letterbox material (on the History Channel or the Nat Geo Channel for example), I noticed the same thing. There are times where the "top border" of a 16:9 program looks perfectly straight, but other times where it looks a bit lower in the middle.

I know how to get into the service menu, and figured out what some of the options mean, but don't want to randomly attempt to change things. Is there a specific menu option that might fix what I'm seeing?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Try lowering the contrast, AKA picture, AKA white level. A lot of TV's supposedly have a weak power supply, which causes lines to bend when there is a lot of brightness in the picture.

Still, 1/8th of an inch is not that bad, but it might be interesting to see if lowering the contrast setting makes a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.