AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won an auction a few months ago at a local furniture store on a used Gold Medal P-60 6oz. Popcorn Machine. Since then I have cleaned the kettle, the "granny" catcher, the interior and exterior. I also painted the unit gloss black..and it sure looks nice. However, I have yet to use the thing. I plugged her in and fired up the kettle and check the heat lamp, both seem to be working well. I also won a few cartons of Flavorall with the machine.

With Brickie's suggestion, as well as others, I ordered a case of SnackyPaks for $15.00, I also ordered a yellow plastic scoop. Monday I will begin my candy display/popcorn stand...I figure a two days will do the trick. Then I will be ready to place the popcorn machine on the display and pop my first batch of corn!

As as teenager, I worked in a Amoco Snack Shoppe...one of my duties was to run the popcorn machine. All I remember was pouring a measuring cup of oil in, and then a cup of popcorn...close the kettle and presto-chango...POPCORN appears like magic. I also remember using "Kretors" to clean the machine each night at closing...yech. I remember the first day we got that popper...the manager was happier than a gopher in soft dirt! He said we was gonna make a bundle! Hummph...I thought. But I tell you....each morning at 6:30am I would fire that thing up...and before the first batch was done popping I would have already sold a bag or two. Something about fresh popcorn drive people crazy!

So what should I know about my new art of popcorn popping?

I remember reading here or somewhere to leave the machine doors open after popping. This allows the popcorn to dry and keep fresh. True or false?

Do I sprinkle the Flavorall on after popping?

Educate me fellow popper graduates!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Crack the door open while it is popping. This will allow a lot of the steam to escape and not get reabsorbed into the popcorn. A couple of minutes after it is done you can then fully close the doors and depend on the warmer to finish the job.

Remember, your prepaks already have salt in them and you may not need to add any extra. When I was using them (prepaks) I kept the flavacol in a separate shaker in case anyone wanted to add extra. I alway found the corn had enough as it was. Now that I am using bulk corn, adding the salt while popping is the best way for flavor (although I still keep the shaker handy for others to use).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pcdoctor
I'm Listening,

I'd sure like to see pictures of your custom painted gloss black "Gold Medal" popper.

pcdoc,

Will do. I have the next three days off and will be using that time to build. I'll take a couple popper pics for ya tomorrow.

The reason I went with a gloss black exterior was to give it a contemporary look. The "faux" wood vinyl sticker just didn't appeal to my taste. Orginally, I had planned on placing the unit in the HT and at that time was going to remove the glass panels and replace with tinted tempered glass...much like the NiteClub models. This would have looked great...and I may still do that later. However, I decided to place it in the video room along with our Pepsi Display Refrigerator where ambient light is not an issue.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
what's up and congrats !!!one thing to keep in mind is that flavacol is meant to be put in the kettle...i tried the sprinkle on after thing,and it was way to salty for me...i do like to add a little extra to the pre-paks before popping though.

brickie

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have the "Mega-Pop" pre- measured packs from Gold medal. They are awesome!! There is a Gold Medal distributor here in town and I buy in bulk:D

brickie, great idea about adding the extra flavocal before you pop... I'll try that next time!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, Kids.

The candy counter is nearly complete. I had to order the inlay glass top panels amd the glass shelf. This unit is large. Six foot long....forty inches tall and two feet deep....and that MDF material is heavy! It is looking awesome...if I do say so myself. I will have plenty of room for candy, and room for HT curios.

I popped the corn last night for my wife and I.....SHE LOVED IT! So much so she started dancing to the tune of popping kernals! I thought it was great too

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
darren, went thru your website, and that is some great work!

brickie

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
darren, went thru your website, and that is some great work!

brickie
Brickie,

Thank you, sir. I will be working on the webpage in the next week or so. It started it out with too many redundant photos...sorta like having a new baby and wanting to show off ALL the pictures. I want to do a reshoot of some new lighting I installed...as well as of the new SVS monsterous sub and new A/V layout, then thin the photos down to about half. I also have a separate website for our video/snack room in which I will post a link after I get the candy counter finished and get them pics for pcdoctor of the painted Gold Medal popper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.