AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been finding it really hard to pull a HDMI cable through a conduit. The conduit is about 30.' It goes under the floor joint, turns a corner, goes up the wall, and then run side way a couple of feet to the location above the fireplace. I taped together a 40' Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable and a 50' Cat 6 cable. I have been unable to fish the wires through. They only went like 6 inches before they got stuck. Any tips on how to do this?

Note: At the conduit entrance, there is another conduit that goes straight up 3' for the main TV. The idea of the room is to have two TVs with the fireplace TV as secondary. I fished the short conduit without a problem with 3 wires - HDMI, Cat 6 and optical cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem. I do not know the diameter of your conduit but I rolled up a 2 inch ball of newspaper, taped it to yarn and sucked it though with a shop vac. Once I had the yarn though, I tied it to the hdmi cable and pulled it through.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yea what size conduit are you trying to pull through? Is it metal ent like for electrical? The problem with fishing HDMI cables are the large ends they have. If it's electrical type medal conduit then the bends could be a problem since they will most likely be 90 degree turns. And with the large HDMI ends on the cable that could be a problem. Unless the pipe is large enough to accommodate it. Like suggested above you could try to get a pull string in the run and use that to pull the cables through. When I did all my non electrical flexable conduit in my build I used a part of a plastic grocery bag. Tied one end to some nylon pull string and rolled it into a ball and sucked it through with my shop vac. or get a fish tape and try pulling with that.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Tape the string to the end of the cable bundle and tape up the tip so it's shaped like a torpedo.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If those other cable are in the same conduit, you may have to pull them out and pull all the cables together.

There are wire lube products you could try too, but I've read that some of the brands 'gum up' over time, causing future trouble. Home Depot carries some, unsure if it's one of the good products.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Make sure you don't put stress on the HDMI connector end - extend the wrapped tape back to the HDMI and category cable jackets.

Make sure the Redmere cable is pulled correctly, as it's directional; won't work backwards.

Since you've already put some stress on the HDMI cable, you might want to make sure it still works before pulling it.

Don't kink the HDMI or category cables, or bend them tightly; they're delicate like that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a pull string already in the conduit. However, the length of the wire the installer left is not long enough. On one end, the string extends just 6 inches past the opening. 4 inches on the other end. I will find a way to splice another pull string to the existing pull string.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have been finding it really hard to pull a HDMI cable through a conduit. The conduit is about 30.' It goes under the floor joint, turns a corner, goes up the wall, and then run side way a couple of feet to the location above the fireplace. I taped together a 40' Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable and a 50' Cat 6 cable. I have been unable to fish the wires through. They only went like 6 inches before they got stuck. Any tips on how to do this?

Note: At the conduit entrance, there is another conduit that goes straight up 3' for the main TV. The idea of the room is to have two TVs with the fireplace TV as secondary. I fished the short conduit without a problem with 3 wires - HDMI, Cat 6 and optical cable.
Ideal and Gardner-Bender wire lube are water-based and you don't want to use anything that's petroleum-based because it can degrade the jacket on some cables. You can use silicone spray.

How many bends are in the conduit- the sharp bends have more effect on how much force it takes to pull. DO NOT bend the HDMI the way the "Master Electrician" did on This Old House. You may find that this works better by pulling the HDMI first, then re-sending the fish tape and puling the rest- the head of the HDMI won't be fighting for space.

BTW- the maximum pulling tension for Category cable is 25 lb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts