AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I bought a tv at hated walmart on bf. its an emerson 42 lcd 1080p. I thought the maker was funai, and they may be cheap but funai seems to have a good reliability track record (cr from 2009/20010 sylvania). I now own it so go ahead and tell me what bad purchase I made. 4 years ago I purchased an olevia at target (bf also)and has been flawless, I hope I have the same luck with this emerson. I was ready to buy a samsun but the price was just soooo much lower i could not resist. now the question, Is there something I should know on how to take care of my new set?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Im sure its fine if your not into image quality ie better black level accurate color etc. But thats ok most people arent. So enjoy your set. Just dont go seeking approval for it on a forum thats purpose is in its essence industry standard and accuracy.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiahk /forum/post/19557073

It is what it is. You are a cheapskate :p. Just enjoy the new tv. No need to care for it. If it breaks, you have an excuse to get a new one.

Not everyone who buys cheap is a cheapskate. People tend to buy what they feel like they can afford. If you don't know someone's financial situation, maybe you should make your jokes at someone else's expense.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstolevia /forum/post/19557182

the price was the same as a 720p 42inch plasma panasonic. would that had been a better choice? I can probably still return it and buy the panny.

I'm not a plasma advocate, but I'd go with the one that looks best to your eyes and not worry what other people say.

·
Registered
8,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstolevia /forum/post/19557182

the price was the same as a 720p 42inch plasma panasonic. would that had been a better choice? I can probably still return it and buy the panny.

Surprisingly enough, as far as reliability, it goes like this based on 198,049 LCD TVs and 29,794 Plasma TVs owned by Consumer Reports members who completed the survey: These were TVs purchased between 2007 and mid-2010.

LCD

Panasonic 2%

Sanyo 2%

Sylvania 2%

Sony 3%

JVC 3%

Vizio 3%

Sharp 3%

Emerson 3%

LG 3%

Insignia 4%

Toshiba 4%

Magnavox 4%

Philips 4%

Viewsonic 4%

Samsung 4%

Westinghouse 8%

Polaroid 10%

Mitsubihsi 12%

Panasonic Plasma is at 3%

Samsung Plasma 6%

LG Plasma 6%

I think I would feel more comfortable with a Panasonic plasma, even though the Emerson scored well. Still, if you keep the Emerson, you stand a good chance of getting a reliable set, though past reliability can't totally predict future reliability.

I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i went to see if the 42 panny plasma was still on sale and no. so i'm stuck with my set since i don't want to spend more than what I already did. and you can call me cheap I don't mind. Just like everybody else I too have a budget (yours might be alot higher) and my discretionary income is spend with the family on vacation, going out, and everything my kids need (not want) they have. I just thought it would be nice to spend a little money on me but if you don't agree I understand. wife drives a brand new suv and i drive a old beat up pickup truck, thats just who I am. anyway wish me luck with my new set......thanks

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstolevia /forum/post/19560632

well, i went to see if the 42 panny plasma was still on sale and no. so i'm stuck with my set since i don't want to spend more than what I already did. and you can call me cheap I don't mind. Just like everybody else I too have a budget (yours might be alot higher) and my discretionary income is spend with the family on vacation, going out, and everything my kids need (not want) they have. I just thought it would be nice to spend a little money on me but if you don't agree I understand. wife drives a brand new suv and i drive a old beat up pickup truck, thats just who I am. anyway wish me luck with my new set......thanks

Good luck & it sure looks as if you have your priorities straight. Enjoy your new TV and don't worry what some smarta$$s say. Do what's right for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.