AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and did not see any results that would help me here, hence this new thread.

I have a FIOS DVR hooked up to a Panny 7U Plasma pannel using HDMI but not using the audio which goes directly to the HTR via digital cable.

I'm not really unhappy with the picture, but it is not good compared to my DVD player (Insignia BD player from BB).

Are there any tips on something I can do to try and improve the picture.

I'm not refering to the macro blocking I am seeing, I know I have to wait for FIOS themselves to solve that, I am talking about the overall realisim that I get from the DVD player that I don't really see from the DVR.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, frankly, most BD movies are going to look better. It's a significantly higher-bitrate source, and they can do very clean (and expensive) transfers. Have you tried watching something like Planet Earth on Discovery HD?

If you have the STB upscaling to 1080p (or 720p if you have a 720p set; you were not very specific), you might try setting it to 'pass-through' mode (if it has one) so that it always just gives the signal to the HDTV as-is and lets it do the scaling. Or if you're in 'pass-through' mode now, try setting it to always output 720p/1080p.

If you have a 1080p TV, also make sure the TV is in 1:1 mode for 1080i/p sources ("Size 2" in the Panasonic menus.)

It's also possible that there are some other picture adjustment settings in the STB itself... generally, you don't want any kind of extra processing being done. Or if you somehow have wrong black level settings on one end?

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
One good alternative to FIOS's DVR is to replace it with a TivoHD and use two FIOS cablecards instead.

Have you tried setting the FIOS DVR to output everything at 1080i Fixed? Or 720p Fixed? Have you tried Component vs HDMI?

What is a Panasonic "7U"? Is it an old PH7UK Industrial model?

·
Registered
33,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa695 /forum/post/14253154

I did a search and did not see any results that would help me here, hence this new thread.

I have a FIOS DVR hooked up to a Panny 7U Plasma pannel using HDMI but not using the audio which goes directly to the HTR via digital cable.

I'm not really unhappy with the picture, but it is not good compared to my DVD player (Insignia BD player from BB).

Are there any tips on something I can do to try and improve the picture.

I'm not refering to the macro blocking I am seeing, I know I have to wait for FIOS themselves to solve that, I am talking about the overall realisim that I get from the DVD player that I don't really see from the DVR.

You may have something wrong with your settings. Is your box outputting at a fixed 1080i? FIOS is universally recognized as having the best picture qualify of any provider. Whatever they send is what's originating at the source. It almost sounds as if your box is not ouputting at 1080i. There is just no way that FIOS HD shouldn't look to be in the same ballpark as a typical BR picture. Of course BR will usually have an edge, but that's because the source (broadcaster) is not providing the same bandwidth as BR can. With that said, the difference should not be that great on good broadcasts or well mastered movies on a channel such as HBO, that would make you 'dissatisfied' with the FIOS picture. If so there must be something wrong with your setup.

As for the real differences between what the provider, such as HBO is sending and the same movie on a BR player, there is nothing that can be done at your end with your FIOS box or any provider's box to remedy that. Frankly, IMO, switching to a Tivo will not impact the picture either. I've had both the Tivo S3 and the Tivo HD and saw no difference in the PQ vs. the FIOS box...none. My viewing is on a 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro (1080p).

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
As for the real differences between what the provider, such as HBO is sending and the same movie on a BR player, there is nothing that can be done at your end with your FIOS box or any provider's box to remedy that. Frankly, IMO, switching to a Tivo will not impact the picture either. I've had both the Tivo S3 and the Tivo HD and saw no difference in the PQ vs. the FIOS box...none. My viewing is on a 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro (1080p).

If you are passing the feed unaltered through the FIOS STB or HD Tivo (or any other digital tuning device), then there should be absolutely zero difference between the outputs. It's just taking the bitstream and pushing it out to the TV.

If you are having the box do scaling as well, you might see some difference in the output. But unless one device has a really good scaler and the other has a horrible one, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 /forum/post/14254249

If you are passing the feed unaltered through the FIOS STB or HD Tivo (or any other digital tuning device), then there should be absolutely zero difference between the outputs. It's just taking the bitstream and pushing it out to the TV.

If you are having the box do scaling as well, you might see some difference in the output. But unless one device has a really good scaler and the other has a horrible one, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference.

Thanks all. When I get home, I''ll try some of the settings you people are suggesting.

Randy, yes, that is what my 7U is.

To anyone else with advice, the box is set to 1080i and my tv does 720p but not 1080p.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts