AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Sharp 9000, but will not give up my various configurations of PS2 (and soon to be XBox.) I realize the burn in problems that these games can present on CRTs, but am I correct in assuming that the DLP projectors don't have this problem?

Thanks for your input - although out of the other side of my mouth, I silently curse you guys and gals. I cam here looking for input to get my $3500 home theater up and running and now you have me convinced I need a Sharp 9000. :eek: ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Zeke,

DLP and LCD projectors dont have burn in issues.

They do have bulb life issues though.

LCD may get a dead pixel here and there too.

If you do a search on DLP here you will get more info than you could ever read in your lifetime.

Bill:)

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
As posted, DLP's do not have the problem of images burning onto the screen. CRT's and plasmas have this problem. LCoS can have temporary burnins, which I understand go away.

The reason I am posting is that I have noticed that bulbs will change their color balance over time. I have an Infocus, and I use filters to correct the colors. I have noticed that after about 300 hours, the bulbs seem to get redder in color balance (which helps BTW). Thus, the performance changes over time.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith

The reason I am posting is that I have noticed that bulbs will change their color balance over time. I have an Infocus, and I use filters to correct the colors. I have noticed that after about 300 hours, the bulbs seem to get redder in color balance (which helps BTW). Thus, the performance changes over time.
Not arc xenon lamps in DILAs (and movie theaters of course). While they loose some brightness over time the color balance stays near perfect.:cool:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You are correct in assuming that there will be no burn in. I will explain it a little more. Burn-in, in terms of CRT's, is quite literal. Over time, the same constant image will "burn" the phosphors on the CRT, permanetly marking the images.

For digital projectors to have this problem, that would mean that the pixel, be it LCD or DLP, would be forced to be stuck on due to constant use. This can happen on a per pixel basis, not because of video source or stationary imaging, but by random misfortune. Simply put, your scores and frag count will not be burnt in.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
My friend's Sony 10HT LCD projector has 4:3 burnin after 2000 hours of use (about half with 4:3)

It isn't horrible but it is noticeable.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.