AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is news about TV shows showing up on HD-DVD at (hopefully) reasonable price points. I'd be real interested in purchasing Firefly on HD-DVD. Any word?

(And as an aside, if it's okay to ask here, how do HD-DVD and Blu-ray fare against each other currently when it comes to releases of various television shows? I noticed most of the talk in both forums is about movies.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
The new Battlestar Galactica series was announced to be released sometime in 2007.

Don't hold your breath on Firefly, it's a Fox TV series, and they are currently Bluray exclusive. (That series has not been announced for Bluray either)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The first seasons of Survivor, The Amazing Race, Friends, Battlestar Gallactica as well as Band of Brothers have all been announced or listed for a future HD DVD release at some point. West Wing was suggested at some point too. However, I wouldn't expect to see any of these release for several months though - if not all the way until next Fall. I've never heard Firefly even mentioned by the studio (though they did release Serenity) - so I wouldn't expect that one for a long time.

Universal/Home Theater Forum - is supposed to post inside info on all/many of Universals upcoming releases for the year by the end of the week - maybe we'll see a surprise there though.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
RE: BSG.

Has the first season really been announced? Last I heard it was just "Battlestar Galactica" and there was some question as if to whether they were talking about the mini-series only, or if they were talking about that and the whole first season or more.

If seasons 1 (incl. mini), 2, and 3 all came out in the summer, I'll probably buy them all... BUT ONLY IF THE PRICES ARE REASONABLE. I would not pay US$99 for one season. Even US$79 (street) is pushing it. I'd probably pay CAD$79.99 (US$68) though.

It would p!ss me off to no end though if there were audio sync issues with BSG, like there are with so many other discs on HD DVD players.

P.S. How many HD DVD discs per season is Smallville? Amazon says it's 926 minutes, but doesn't list the number of discs. I'd guess something like 5.

EDIT:

It's 5 discs. That's quite reasonable for great quality. 926 minutes is less than 5X the length of King Kong, and King Kong is reference video quality.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can't wait for Band of Brothers!! OMG..thats going to be awesome...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I'm sure its at least the Mini-series, quite possibly the mini + season one. In the US they were one package for DVD, but not in Europe. I would be surprised if seasons 2 and 3 came out for quite a while. I don't expect them to be cheap.

Just my guesses.

J

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm hoping to see lots of TV on HD-DVD. I hope Smallville and the Sopranos aren't being looked at by the studios as a test. Both will probably sell poorly, Smallville because it may skew a little young and Sopranos price is ridiculous. I bought smallville and its very good. The picture quality is outstanding and the IME is great, in the future hopefully they make it available on more episodes.

Currently I have little interest in Blu Ray, but X-files, Buffy, Angel and Firefly are my favorite shows of all time, so I would jump on Blu Ray the day any were released.

·
Registered
72,411 Posts
Unfortunately most of the TV shows I'd like to see on HD wouldn't benefit from the format's high-resolution: The Incredible Hulk (still waiting for news about Season 2 coming to DVD after the first one sold well), Kolchak: The Night Stalker, all the Law & Order shows, The Secret World of Alex Mack (Nickelodeon, i.e. Viacom which owns Paramount), etc.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/0

Unfortunately most of the TV shows I'd like to see on HD wouldn't benefit from the format's high-resolution: The Incredible Hulk (still waiting for news about Season 2 coming to DVD after the first one sold well), Kolchak: The Night Stalker, all the Law & Order shows, The Secret World of Alex Mack (Nickelodeon, i.e. Viacom which owns Paramount), etc.

Well, not a TV show, but Casablanca looks awesome in HD, and that movie is from 1942.

Mind you, I'd doubt they'd put nowhere near the work into some of those shows as they did for Casablanca.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don't forget HBO has said more Sopranos this year. Also CBS has said Star Trek Remastered later this year as well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstachniak /forum/post/0

Don't forget HBO has said more Sopranos this year.

Yeah, that's right. And that's so cool. I think the later seasons get kind of wierd (someone needs to make like a fan-edit of them to cut out the BS) - but I would be buying Seasons 1 through 3 in a second, the day that they come out. They're classic.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastor /forum/post/0

I thought Universal acquired the distribution rights to Firefly? They've been airing it on the Universal HD channel...

I'm not saying you are wrong as I do not know the answer, but I do know rights for broadcasting are different from home video distribution rights. So it is possible that Universal has broadcast rights but Fox still owns distribution rights.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
For the currently shipping Firefly DVDs:

Rating:Not Rated

Label: fox

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Release Date: 2003-12-09

DVD Format: Box Set, Widescreen Anamorphic, 1.78:1, Closed Captioned, Color

DVD Features: Subtitles: English, Spanish, Audio Track 1: English, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Audio Track 2: French, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Audio Track 3: Spanish, Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.