AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there been any indication of a possible broadcast of the NBA finals in HD yet? I did a search on the forums on this topic and all the posts I found seem to be just speculation that NBC wouldn't or that there was a chance since the Triple Crown is being done in HD.

If NBC did the finals in HD, I know I could probably sell some HD tvs and tuners for sure.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
If the Mavericks had been in the Finals I was betting we would be seeing HD but since they're not Im not very optemistic.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
The NBA Finals may not be in HD but the Arena Football League championship game probably will be. The HDTVs will be flying off the shelves!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
NBC announced 4-5 weeks ago that none of the playoffs or finals would be in HD. There's a thread and links to the announcement somewhere in our hollowed halls.

That being said, we can always hope......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't make any sense. We get the Triple Crown, Olympics, The Masters, and the NCAA finals, the Superbowl in ED, and can't get the NBA finals in HD. That's just crazy. How long does NBC have a contract with the NBA again?

I think CBS or ABC should get the contracts for the NBA, NFL, and MLB.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
I think CBS or ABC should get the contracts for the NBA, NFL, and MLB
Your wish has been granted. NBC has lost the NBA contract and ABC takes over starting next season! Hooray!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander

Your wish has been granted. NBC has lost the NBA contract and ABC takes over starting next season! Hooray!
Refresh my memory why ABC getting the contract is a good thing? I can't immediately remember ever seeing any HD sports on ABC. Only legends from old-timers about MNF sometime before 90% of us on this forum had HD. It would only be 'hooray' to me if CBS or HDnet had the contract.

Duane

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander

Are you sure it's going to ABC? I thought I heard it was going to cable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Duane:

Referring to ABC HD Monday Night Football, you brought back some good memories from the Fall of '99. Back then I had one of the first DTC-100s attached to a Unity Motion 30" HD monitor and I used to cut night classes to watch HD NFL football. I thought by this time that we'd have all sorts of HD sports, in addition to HD NFL football. But I guess we should be thankful for all the primetime HD we have now, in additon to Mark Cuban and what HD sports CBS has provided.

To stay on topic, given the fact that ABC did pioneer HD sports with their MNF broadcasts, and the fact that NBC has had the fewest HD broadcasts of any network short of FOX, we probably have a better chance of HD NBA broadcasts on ABC than with NBC.

Mike

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure it's going to ABC? I thought I heard it was going to cable.
I believe it was a multi-provider deal including TNT, ESPN and ABC? I don't remember the exact details but it sounded like there were supposed to be more games broadcast overall but they will be spread out over a number of different outlets.

ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got this e-mail from my local NBC station
Quote:
Friday, May 31 KWWL will air the Eastern Conference Final NBA basketball game New Jersey @ Boston on HDTV. The final game begins at 6pm followed by the Western Conference Final game Sacramento @ LA Lakers. Also, the last horse race of the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes, will air in HDTV on June 8 beginning at 4pm.
Hopefully other NBC stations will pass this on too :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I hope you're local station is correct, but I'm not aware of any HD-remote truck in the Boston area. I know for certain our local NBC affiliate does not have an HD truck. Maybe Mark Cuban will send up the truck from New York that is being used for the Belmont Stakes. But if it was available why didn't they do game 5 from the Meadowlands the other night?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
TNT/TBS renewed its deal for weekday broadcasts. ABC won NBC's portion for Weekends and Finals. The ABC deal also allows for more weekly broadcasts on its sister station, ESPN.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Maybe now NBC will be really motivated to pick up the NFL, that way they could have one major sport. And a chance of HDTV NFL with NBC is better than no chance with FOX.

-phil

edited NHL -> NFL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Friday, May 31 KWWL will air the Eastern Conference Final NBA basketball game New Jersey @ Boston on HDTV. The final game begins at 6pm followed by the Western Conference Final game Sacramento @ LA Lakers. Also, the last horse race of the Triple Crown, the Belmont Stakes, will air in HDTV on June 8 beginning at 4pm.

So NBC is broadcasts the games today in HDTV? I'm going to check to see if our station in Atlanta knows this.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefSooner
My NBC affiliate hadn't heard anything but they are checking too. I did see this on KWWL's web site.

http://www.kwwl.com/Global/story.asp...4&nav=7TI59Kky
Here is my take on this website bulletin. The parade that they're showing on their analog channel will be pre-empting the basketball game until 8PM when it will be joined in progress. However, the entire game will be shown on the digital channel. Their use of "HDTV" i believe is just referring to their digital channel and not necessarily Hi-Def.

I'll be shocked if this is not the case since no one else is saying anything about the game being in HD.

JohnR

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did email KWWL and ask for clarification.

They are getting a SD feed and upconverting it :(

Sorry to get everyones hopes up.

I wish KWWL knew what they were saying :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.