AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for an answer on this but most threads date back to over a year ago. Either my question has been answered, or well, I dunno!

I read that Xbox 360 doesn't support HDMI 1.3, which encodes TrueHD. For example, I have a Xbox 360 with HD-DVD addon, and when I choose TrueHD soundtrack with Batman Begins or Superman Returns, my receiver Sony STR-DG820, doesn't show TrueHD on the LED display, unlike how my Blu-ray player does when I choose TrueHD.

So.. will the 360 support TrueHD soon, or does it already?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
No.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
In the options menu you can choose to convert HD sound to a higher bitrate DTS 1.5Mb/s, so at least its a little better than the DD 640k/s track.

360 can not ouput the HD sound bitstreams (neither can PS3). PS3 can output lossless pcm surround, but 360 can not.

I think its worth having both systems:

360: live gaming, netflix

PS3: blu-ray lossless sound, psn, home

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff /forum/post/15506439

I think its worth having both systems:

360: live gaming, netflix

PS3: blu-ray lossless sound, psn, home

Having both systems is great, but buying a PS3 for Home?

·
Registered
525 Posts
they wouldnt be able to store the lossless audio onto dvd9 disc. Maybe next gen they will include it in their console. As rite now 5.1 DD is good enough for me..

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanafan /forum/post/15505730

HDMI 1.3, which encodes TrueHD.

Thanks!

This is untrue first of all. HDMI 1.3 means a higher max data rate. That is IT. Lossless audio, control, and deep color are all optional features; they are not on all 1.3 devices.

The 360 decodes TrueHD and re-encodes it to 1.5MBps DTS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15511604

This is untrue first of all. HDMI 1.3 means a higher max data rate. That is IT. Lossless audio, control, and deep color are all optional features; they are not on all 1.3 devices.

The 360 decodes TrueHD and re-encodes it to 1.5MBps DTS.

Thanks for the clarification!

I guess as a side question.. does the 360 support PCM or DTS HD? (Not sure if there are any HD DVDs which have such audio features)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts