AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For electric screen control via girder? How about rs232 if there is no USB?

I have a matrix orbital display with some 5v relay controls, but that doesn't sound optimal and I'd have to add larger relays of course to that solution.

I do have a low voltage control module for the screen, so it's not that I need to swtich line voltage.

Troy

·
Registered
809 Posts
Go to Smarthome and put "serial relays" and "automation controllers" in the search field. There's a fair amount of stuff for this type of thing.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
If you do, you better be sure that you understand X-10 and have a good control on the quality of your eletrical system. Else, you can get spurious X-10 signals fairly often and have your screen suddenly go up or down spontaneously.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dean,

True enough in the old days. In my last Condo I put 1 too many 2-way light controllers into the system and random lights would go on and off in the middle of the night. It would drive my wife nuts. These days there are a plethora of good products you can buy that will ensure reliable transmission and noise suppression at a reasonable cost..Signallinq, boostlinq, filterlinq. etc... I'm also guessing his HTPC is fairly close to the screen, minimizing potential problems.

My current home is 8000+ sq ft with 3 220 panels, and I have it working fine everywhere, even a paddock about 2 acres in front of the property.

The irony is now, after all of these years it's finally getting reliable, there are a few new standards coming out for RF to "solve" he x10 problems.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
These days there are a plethora of good products you can buy that will ensure reliable transmission and noise suppression at a reasonable cost..Signallinq, boostlinq, filterlinq. etc... I'm also guessing his HTPC is fairly close to the screen, minimizing potential problems.
Hence the need to understand X-10, and you have to consider whether all those things are worth it to put one screen riser controller in.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use x-10 with firecracker for lights and A/C via girder, but it's too slow to stop the screen in any position I want other than full up or down. I guess I will have to use a usb serial adapter to a serial relay... My com ports are full.

thanks guys!

Troy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but at my office we use Serial to Ethernet converters that arent much bigger than a pack of smokes. When you telnet to them you instantly get a connection to whatever serial device is on the other end.

They include software that installs Virtual COM ports on a Windows PC anywhere from COM1 through COM30 if I recall right. You can configure which COM port equals which pack of smokes, and then when a peice of software opens the com port, the special driver dynamically opens a connection to that device over the network and established the connection.

If you want more info, PM me and I will go lookup the model information.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know www.sealevel.com makes USB relay boxes. I have no experience with these units.

I'm setting up a control system using Premise SYS. I have Ethernet to RS-232 controllers wherever serial ports are needed. This allows me to control devices all around the house. When I get to the point where I am hooking up the sensor inputs and relay outputs I am planning on using Adicon modules.

I don’t know if the delay with this setup will be small enough to precisely control your screen. I guess that depends on the speed of the motor too.

Look at the supported devices page for Premise SYS to get some more ideas for relay outputs.

http://www.premisesystems.com/product/devices

http://www.homecontrols.com/
http://www.worthdist.com/

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info... I'll go check those both out.

Budget? Whats that? My budget was $300 when I first got into home theater with a old crt video only pj. Now I think I've blown that by about $6000-7000 and still climbing. Luckily I'm single.

Troy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.