AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a burned Sony 07MS blue tube here from my 1272, which I replaced a few months ago. I found it again while going through some stuff before I move. The tube works, but it's got some phosphor wear and some weird patterns burned into it - in other words, it lights up, but doesn't do much beyond that. Does a tube like this have any value to anyone, or should I just chuck it in the dumpster?

The attachment below is a picture of the tube face. This was rated a "6" by the guy I bought it from. : \\

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I'd salvage the glycol out of the cooling chamber, but otherwise, that's only worth something

to someone who has REALLY bad tubes and would be playing games on his projector after

putting tubes in it in that sort of condition. You'd get some usable life out of a tube like

that in that application.

Burned tubes are OK for "beater" applications like big screen gaming. Who cares if you

pattern burn an already burned tube?

They can also be used for testing projectors where they had a deflection failure. I would

not want to test a repaired deflection module in a projector that has a set of brand new, 1200 bucks each tubes in it, would you?

I keep a burned set of tubes, all set up and ready to plug in, in my shop, just for that sort of testing.

Beyond those applications, the tube is worthless as it is not rebuildable. (Meaning only

that nobody has invested the money required to establish a rebuilding process line for

them....in theory, ALL tubes can be rebuilt to like new condition.)

CJ

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_god
I've got a burned Sony 07MS blue tube here from my 1272, which I replaced a few months ago. I found it again while going through some stuff before I move. The tube works, but it's got some phosphor wear and some weird patterns burned into it - in other words, it lights up, but doesn't do much beyond that. Does a tube like this have any value to anyone, or should I just chuck it in the dumpster?

The attachment below is a picture of the tube face. This was rated a "6" by the guy I bought it from. : \\
Unless you (or someone else) specifically did the swap out, Sony 1272's use 07MSP's

But if it's burnt, it's burnt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
Unless you (or someone else) specifically did the swap out, Sony 1272's use 07MSP's
You're probably right, then. I think the burned tube was original equipment, but the one I replaced it with was definitely an 07MS.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hold on to this one and list it on eBay. If no one bites, then I'll toss it.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
Nah, never throw anything away... list it on ebay for $10. There's always somebody out there looking to replace a tube that's even toastier or one with spot burn or one that got busted in transit.

:D

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Like CJ I keep a burnt set to check out unknown projectors.

If you get a pile of bits with nice tubes, the last thing you want to do is fire it up with the good tubes still in it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.