AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I just bought a Samsung UE32C4000 and have been unable to get a particularly good image from it. From the research I've done, firstly there doesn't seem to be much by way of information on this model, and secondly, what information there is is dotted with people claiming that it is nigh on impossible to get the grayscale right.

Also, I've found it somewhat annoying trying to deal with the auto dimming, which seems to wash out the colours in outdoor scenes in games (Kinect adventures' River Rush and Reflex Ridge levels seem to particularly wash out (even with black level and dynamic contrast turned off and HDMI black level on 'normal', the only things I can think of that would cause any 'intelligent(sic)' automatic adjustments). Is this changeable in the engineer's menu? Presumably doing anything in said menu would void the warranty, but if the options are changed back in the event of a problem, would anyone be able to tell that the menu had been accessed anyway?

I heard somewhere that the auto-dimming was set to 'off' by default in movie mode, but the same scenes seem to wash out anyway. I managed to find some White Balance settings online, but these were posted by a user who had been complaining about being unable to get the colour right and the colours still seem way off.

Sadly, having no calibration equipment (I could just about afford the SpyderTV but I've heard bad things about it), I can't really test the set myself, so I was really hoping that someone on here might have some experience with it.

I only paid £349 for it, but if I can't manage to get a decent picture out of it then I'd be very tempted to exchange it for something else, but the only professional review I've read of it (well, of the UN32C4000, which I presume is the north American version of the same model, even though the review mentions menu options for things like 'MotionFlow', CineMotion, etc that aren't in any of my menus.) cites it as pretty decent for an entry level set.

It's all a bit confusing and somewhat of an information minefield.

Any help would be hugely appreciated (I asked this question over at AVForums and didn't get a single response, doh).

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Unfortunately, since this is Samsung's lowest model of LED/LCD offered for sale in the USA, there haven't been many reviews on it. In fact, until I saw your thread I didn't realize Samsung made a 4000 series. I though the 5000 was lowest and it definitely hasn't received much love.

Good luck. Hopefully, some other member will be able to address some of your questions and concerns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts