AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I’m looking to o replace a Klipsch RP-500C center channel speaker. Dialogue is too bright and causes noticeable ear fatigue quickly. It seems I’m pretty sensitive to this and need suggestions for a center channel in the under $400 range that has a warmer sound that’s less gougey. I have a SVS PB-1000 to pair it with and will likely purchase matching fronts right after I can find the right center.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very happy with my Emotiva C2. Nice and smooth sound, no harshness. Not gonna win any beauty contests, but great sounding speaker.

Reactions: Peja

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey everyone. I’m looking to o replace a Klipsch RP-500C center channel speaker. Dialogue is too bright and causes noticeable ear fatigue quickly. It seems I’m pretty sensitive to this and need suggestions for a center channel in the under $400 range that has a warmer sound that’s less gougey. I have a SVS PB-1000 to pair it with and will likely purchase matching fronts right after I can find the right center.
How about this from Wharfedale? They are known to have a warm presentation. Available in a few different finishes.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_336D11CSRW/Wharfedale-Diamond-11-CS-Rosewood.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve heard those mentioned before in the forum. Not familiar with the brand at all though. I’ll have a closer look.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Chane A2.4

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
I highly recommend the Emotiva C1+ or C2+ ... they are wonderfully clear and full-bodied in the mids, yet have tons of treble detail with zero fatigue, and there is a slight treble roll-off to prevent brightness. Both are 3 way designs...the C1+ is sealed while the C2+ is rear ported so it will pack more punch if you have the space.

The Chane A2.4 (currently using one as a mismatched center) is very good too, but they are sold out and god knows when they'll be back in stock.

I love love love Wharfedale speakers for their warmth and musicality, but would NOT recommend any of their 2-way centers, which have consistently drawn mixed reviews. The only 3-way center they still make is the Evo 4.C but it's outrageously overpriced at a whopping $800.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
695 Posts
You'll definitely see at least several recommendations for the Emotiva C2/C2+. Wharfdale of course is known for their warmth.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
Treble roll off at what freq is good to prevent brightness? Asking because I need to equalize my speakers to prevent brightness but not lose detail.
No idea, didn't measure them or look up any measurements of them.

EQ can reduce brightness but it can't create detail if the speaker doesn't produce it.

Reactions: Vikram Iyengar

·
Registered
952 Posts
No idea, didn't measure them or look up any measurements of them.

EQ can reduce brightness but it can't create detail if the speaker doesn't produce it.
OK I'll research. Turning the treble knob down doesn't help so it must be some other freq. The speakers and AVR produce detail, I just don't want that to go away with EQ, only the brightness.

I heard the treble knobs are set at 10 kHz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone here currently use the Airmotive C1? It'd be great to get some info. There's very little online about them, reviev-wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts