AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have bought the Panasonic CT-32HX41 I find that the 1080i input forces the TV into 16:9 mode. Does anyone know if there is any way to get around this to allow 4:3 viewing. My Toshiba STB only puts out 1080i and I wanted to leave the STB set in HD mode but the CT-32HX41 forces all the rgular channels to 16:9..

Anyone Please????

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
You must watch the regular channels in 480i. 1080i will always force the squeeze. No way around this.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Digital is 16 x 9 and you bought a Thomas Alva Edison 4:3, the same guy that invented the direct current lightbulb. If it wasn't for Nicola Tesla the inventer of alternating current or AC, you would still be watching tv from a direct current source like your car does. All the information on AVS on how great 16 x 9 is.

My HDTV is 1 year of trouble free wide screen TV, I never watch Edisons 4:3 anymore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your very well thought out reply Hob. Unlike your late arrival to the digital scene I was a very early adopter and have been running a 16:9 HD RPTV for over 3 years. Does it ever come into your narrow mind that some people make a conscious choice to pick up a 4:3 for reasons your mind may never understand. Why don't you just stop blasting people and let others that have something constructive to say answer the threads.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well put, Trevor. The 4:3 bashing is getting ridiculous. Despite the propaganda, we are not even close to a time when the majority of new television programs will be in 16:9, not to mention the fact that all of the television up until now (over 50 years worth of content) is in 4:3. The fact that some of the bashing is uneducated makes it even more annoying.

-Aaron

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevorsplace
Thanks for your very well thought out reply Hob. Unlike your late arrival to the digital scene I was a very early adopter and have been running a 16:9 HD RPTV for over 3 years. Does it ever come into your narrow mind that some people make a conscious choice to pick up a 4:3 for reasons your mind may never understand. Why don't you just stop blasting people and let others that have something constructive to say answer the threads.
lol...well said Trev, enough of the 16:9 ra ra cheerleading nonsense.

As far as i know If your pany & toshiba is anything like my Xbr36 & hughs E86 your only choice would be to use svideo from your STB for 4:3 viewing. For HDTV you have to switch to 16:9 and 1080i in the toshiba menu then switch to the appropriate component input on the pany and for SDTV choose 4:3 480i and appropriate svideo input on the pany.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shaun that's the conclusion I came to. As I use the set mainly for 4:3 content and the doubler in the Panasonic is doing a pretty good job I think I can live with it. I wish the manufactures would leave the options available and stop making choices for us that limit our ability to change.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Trevor,

I just purchased exactly the same TV you did, and also did not like the 16:9 "auto-squishing" that occurs whenever you feed it a 1080i or 540p signal. I was using a DTC-100 which outputs at 1080i or 540p for everything (4:3 DTV, 4:3 normal tv channels/cable/etc - upscales to 540p, and 16:9 HDTV).

I ended up getting a new DTV/HDTV receiver just for this Panasonic set -- the TU-HDS20 by Panasonic. It provides a "hybrid" mode that outputs in 1080i for some sources and 480p for others (all via the component cables). I only played around with it last night for the first time, but it appears to work around the problem that you mention by using the 480p output for non-HD materials.

Jim

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jim,

I am considering picking up the Panasonic STB... Please let me know how it is working out for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. I'm dismayed that a 4:3 would do this, although I can understand why the feature exists. The fact that most broadcasting is still in 4:3 makes me wonder what market they are trying to sell to.

Discovering critical limitations such as this "feature" are very helpful.

Thomas

·
Registered
119 Posts
Trevor,

The Panasonic STB works great -- tuning is glacially slow (as many posters have reported) but the automatic aspect correction for properly delivered DTV and HDTV signals is MUCH nicer!

One channel in Houston (Fox, DTV channel 27) is broadcasting a 720p 16:9 aspect letterboxed 4:3 signal that does not automatically scale up to full screen 4:3. However the Panasonic STB has an Aspect button that allows for a zoom when using this channel that allows it too to be full screen.

What a surprise! What a hassle! But at last it's working.

Jim

PS -- for those of you needing a STB that will output 480 and 1080i, the Samsung (T150?) digital tuner (no DirectTV though) allows for switching output using a switch on the back of the unit. Not nearly as nice as the much more automatic Hybrid mode on the Panasonic. However, it locks into DTV/HDTV instantly compared to the Panasonic.

Also, the fan on the Panasonic (see posts about Panasonic fixes) is VERY noisy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.