Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

just a newbie question, is it possible to control the speed of the playback, say for instance watch a hr program in 45 minutes (short of the forward button, what i want it is for it to play back at a faster speed). i would imagine this is possible...is it?..... any ideas ??

b-man

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
You can watch in regular speed without commercials, that ususally saves about 10-20 minutes per an hour show. Click FF to watch it any faster.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No, there is no way to alter the playback speed WITH SOUND. You can use 1xFF or 2xFF to watch it faster, or hit play again to watch in slo-mo and adjust the slo-mo speed or ff speed, but none of them have sound. The thing you typically do is start watching the program late after pausing it, or record it outright, then you skip the commercials. If you are watching it delayed you hit QuickSkip maybe 4 times to skip the commercials. If you recorded it, then you hit 2 (or 3) then the QuickSkip button and you will insta-skip the whole block of commercials. Doing that, you watch an hour show in about 42 minutes or less.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As Randy and Riker have said: Not currently offered. But your question is intriguing.

I have previously seen fast-view with sound in the old Betamax video player line, though in pre-digital days one problem of course was: the audio played back at a higher pitch when sped up.

Just as digital voicemail systems offer faster and slower playback of audio messages without pitch distortion, perhaps a future SonicBlue model could offer faster/slower video/audio playback one day.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Not quite right Minnesotan. The original Beta HiFi units provided 2X playback with audio which was NOT shifted in pitch. This was a fortuitous side effect of the Beta HiFi audio tracks since, while the tape was longitudinally traveling at 2X the speed, the audio track was helically scanned and thus did not suffer the pitch shift. I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in approximately 25 minutes by using the 2X playback and skipping over the commercials. Ah, those were the good old days :D :D :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
By gosh, BaysideBas, I think you're right! Now that you mention it. Thanks.

Now with your prompting, I suspect what I'm recalling as "discomfort" with the Betamax high-speed playback was not distorted pitch, but, rather, that the choices were limited to:

- normal speed, and

- a 2X that was just slightly too fast to enjoy certain shows.

(I recall it took a major effort of concentration to follow "Siskel & Ebert" in 2x, for instance, and yet feel I had absorbed the whole content)

Variable speed playback with audio would be ideal.

Jerry

·
Registered
200 Posts
Let 'em know! (I did :cool: ) -- From the ReplayTV Customer Care web page
Quote:
If you have ideas for new ReplayTV product features and/or services, we would love to hear about them. Email us at [email protected] . Your creative suggestions are greatly appreciated and will help us to serve you better in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.