AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,


I Just ordered a wireless 5.1 home theater system (Samsung HT-Z515T), and was wondering if it is possible to buy another (wireless) speaker and have it connected either to the AV Receiver, or directly to the TV, so that we can hear things from the kitchen.


The sound quality doesn't have to be phenomenal, just good enough to listen to the news or whatever else is on TV at the time.


Any suggestions?


Thanks,

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
I'm not sure that's possible. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but all the wireless modules I've looked closely at aren't exactly wireless. The A/V receiver (at the front of the room) has a transmitter of some sort either built into it or connected to it. It broadcasts wirelessly to a small receiving unit at the rear of the room (or wherever you put it). The "wireless" rear speakers connect to this unit, which is plugged into a wall outlet for power. The speakers are wireless in that they don't have wires running from the back of the room to the front of the room to connect to your A/V receiver, but they do have a wire running to the rear receiving unit. Since speakers are not powered on their own, this cannot be avoided. So getting one extra speaker to go in your kitchen would have to be connected to something, whether it's the A/V receiver at the front of the room or the rear receiving unit at the back of the room.


Best Buy does sell a wireless rear kit made by Rocketfish, but I don't know if it can be worked into a system that already has a wireless setup. If so I guess you could put the Rocketfish receiving unit in your kitchen and hook 1 or 2 speakers up to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's okay if it requires using a wireless receiver plugged into the wall (although it would be all the better if it didn't). The main thing I'm concerned about it that it is combinable with an out-of-the-box 5.1 home theater setup which I just purchased.


I will check out the Rocketfish receiver you mentioned: that sounds like it might do the trick.


Thanks for the suggestion


Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked around some, but still haven't come across anything. There seem to be several wireless "rear speaker kits," but I already have a theater set-up, and just one another single speaker that will work in conjunction with the others.


Anyone else have any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
So you want the same sounds coming from the front speakers to be duplicated by wireless to the kitchen? Whatever you use would need to transmit the same amplified signal that your main speakers receive.


If your receiver has an A/B speaker setup (I'm not familiar with your system, so I don't know if it has this), you may be able to rig a Rocketfish or like kit hooked into the "B" portion and have it transmit, assuming the A/B portion can send to both speaker setups at the same time. If not, I don't think there is anything remotely like what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnedd /forum/post/14244443


It's okay if it requires using a wireless receiver plugged into the wall (although it would be all the better if it didn't).

The wireless receiver (and the speakers) need to get power somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
873 Posts
Sony's new S-Air setup is capable of it, but I don't the Samsung can handle it. I picked up a DAV-HDX279W recently from Sony Style and the sound it puts out is very good for the money. It comes with the wireless rears and you can add up to 5 more multiroom speakers IIRC. If you're not interested in the wireless rears, I think they have a 277W model that has an included multi-room speaker in lieu of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/14268834


So you want the same sounds coming from the front speakers to be duplicated by wireless to the kitchen? Whatever you use would need to transmit the same amplified signal that your main speakers receive.


If your receiver has an A/B speaker setup (I'm not familiar with your system, so I don't know if it has this), you may be able to rig a Rocketfish or like kit hooked into the "B" portion and have it transmit, assuming the A/B portion can send to both speaker setups at the same time. If not, I don't think there is anything remotely like what you want.


The wireless receiver (and the speakers) need to get power somehow.

Thank Tulpa. That is what I'm attempting to do. What exactly is an A/B speaker setup? I'm new to the audio world and google hasn't been much help for this particular question. I will check out my A/V reciever when I get home today and see what It has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider /forum/post/14269868


Sony's new S-Air setup is capable of it, but I don't the Samsung can handle it. I picked up a DAV-HDX279W recently from Sony Style and the sound it puts out is very good for the money. It comes with the wireless rears and you can add up to 5 more multiroom speakers IIRC. If you're not interested in the wireless rears, I think they have a 277W model that has an included multi-room speaker in lieu of them.

I'll check out the S-Air just in case. Thanks Dark Rider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
Some receivers have a 2-zone capability. Zone A is the main area where you would have your 5.1 speaker setup. Zone B is usually a separate area where you put 2 speakers, such as a kitchen or patio, and can be turned on and off. The B zone is often very limited in options and settings, but if all you want is to hear the news or some background music, you're good to go. Tulpa is saying that where you would hook up the speakers for your B zone (if your receiver has this option) maybe you can hook up the transmitter unit from a wireless kit, such as the Rocketfish. Then you can put the 2 wireless speakers and receiving module in your kitchen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Some receivers have a 2-zone capability. Zone A is the main area where you would have your 5.1 speaker setup. Zone B is usually a separate area where you put 2 speakers, such as a kitchen or patio, and can be turned on and off. The B zone is often very limited in options and settings, but if all you want is to hear the news or some background music, you're good to go. Tulpa is saying that where you would hook up the speakers for your B zone (if your receiver has this option) maybe you can hook up the transmitter unit from a wireless kit, such as the Rocketfish. Then you can put the 2 wireless speakers and receiving module in your kitchen.

Thanks Tulpa. That is exactly what I was hoping for. I guess what it comes down to then is simply whether my Samsung home theater supports this kind of set-up. I appreciate the explanation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
That actually was fireman, but no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/14286078


Some receivers have a 2-zone capability. Zone A is the main area where you would have your 5.1 speaker setup. Zone B is usually a separate area where you put 2 speakers, such as a kitchen or patio, and can be turned on and off. The B zone is often very limited in options and settings, but if all you want is to hear the news or some background music, you're good to go. Tulpa is saying that where you would hook up the speakers for your B zone (if your receiver has this option) maybe you can hook up the transmitter unit from a wireless kit, such as the Rocketfish. Then you can put the 2 wireless speakers and receiving module in your kitchen.

On the Sony, they call it "Party" or "Individual", but it's the exact same concept. I think you can have up to 5 separate speakers in addition to the 5.1 setup, and each has separate cd/radio/ipod controls. However, only one can control the source at a time, and the broadcast is either on/off (ie you can't have multiple broadcasts from the same receiver).
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top