AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Hughes E86 HDTV receiver to use for viewing OTA high-def programs on our new Panasonic 42" ED Plasma. (I'm not hooking up to DirecTV yet because I would need a new antenna and would have to add the E86 to our existing DirecTIVO, which is mostly a duplication.) I started to watch some network OTA high-def shows tonight, but they all were in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and I could not seem to find any setting on either the Panasonic Plasma or the E86 that would allow me to change the aspect ratio to fill the 16:9 screen. My questions are:

1. Is there any way to adjust the aspect ratio for viewing these OTA shows, either through the E86 receiver or the Plasma?

2. Is all (or virtually all) of the network OTA programming in 4:3 ratio? (I did see the PBS high-def channel in full 16:9 -- wow! what a gorgeous picture!)

3. How much danger is there of burn-in on the Plasma if we watch an evening's worth (2-4 hours) of 4:3 high-def TV with the black bars on the side?

Thanks for assistance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Much of the content on OTA digital channels is still non-HD content with 4:3 aspect ratios. Broadcasters insert black bars to fill in the remainder of the 16:9 field. These black bars are not inserted by your equipment; they are actually being broadcast. I set up my HD receiver and UHF antenna this week and also noted this situation. Some programming, like much of what is broadcast on our PBS affiliate's digital station, is true HD programming and fills the screen. I have inquired in another thread about how to expand the 4:3 images on digital stations to fill the 16:9 screen of my monitor, and have received helpful responses. That thread can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249682

Ron

·
Registered
204 Posts
on the E86, go inside the setup menu and set the display type to 4x3 (even you have a 16x9 plasma), you will be able to adj the aspect ratio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.