AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Comcast Digital Cable with HDTV. I was just wondering if it were possible to combine OTA HD antenna with the Comcast digital cable box? It is a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD.

In other words, is there a way to pass a signal from an OTA antenna into the HD Cable box, and switch to that input.

I'm seriously doubting it, but just though IF there was a way, someone here would surely know.

Thanks!

_Tim

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
I have Comcast Digital Cable with HDTV. I was just wondering if it were possible to combine OTA HD antenna with the Comcast digital cable box? It is a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD.

In other words, is there a way to pass a signal from an OTA antenna into the HD Cable box, and switch to that input.
No.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks (again), Ken!

-Tim

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
No, the cable box can't decode OTA HD broadcasts - they use a different modulation scheme (8VSB) whereas SA cable boxes use QAM, they are incompatible. You would need to buy a separate OTA HD STB to receive OTA from an antenna and feed both STBs into the HDTV. Complain to Comcast to carry all the local HD channels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the extended explanation. They have all except PBS and CBS. Everyone knows about the CBS situation, but I expect PBS *very* soon. Discovery is supposedly around the corner too.

Just out of curiousity ... now much do OTA HD STB's run?

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
I've seen open-box OTA-only deals in the $250-$300 range (got one of those, myself). It goes up from there. See the STB sticky at the top of the forum for makes, models and what not. Then take the model numbers and hit google or one of the shopping bots.

Doc

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
They're getting a lot cheaper; I regularly see brand new ones from reputable eBay sellers for well under $300 these days. Just goes to show that the retail markup on these things is huge.

I've seen the Samsung OTA box for as little as $310 from real stores, as well...

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If you buy a STB online, make sure the site has a liberal return policy, in case the box doesn't meet your expectations.

Many online retailers don't allow returns, or they charge huge restocking fees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.