AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a digital receiver (like most people here).

It has 4 digital inputs: 1 coaxial input and 3 optical inputs.

Does anyone know a way I may be able to modify the receiver so that I can connect another coaxial digital input (or two)? basically, I would remove one or more of the optical ins, and convert it to a RCA coaxial input.

It shouldn't be too hard. The optical input and related electronics has to convert the light signal into an electrical signal. This signal is I guess where you would hook up the coaxial input too. However, as I have no experience with this type of thing, I have no idea what I would be doing, and whether it would be correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be better if you got an audio/video switcher and use the composite connections for the digital coax switching.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Not nearly as simple as you'd like to think, never mind that you've just invalidated any warranty you have left by doing such a "tweak".

A "saner" solution might be a composite video switcher as suggested by another poster, or something like a Fostex COP-1 which translates between Coax and Optical and vice versa.

THere are other options out there besides this one, but it's the one that comes to mind to me immediately.

Regards,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hope this Helps.

--------------------------

www.audioauthority.com

Digital Audio Compatibility

Many of today's newest Dolby Digital® components cannot be connected (digitally) to one another because different manufacturers use different input/output formats (TosLink®/Optical or Coax). Whether in the showroom or in the living room, digital incompatibility can cost you time and money. Ever lost a sale because the component's digital audio was incompatible with the customer's existing home theater system?

Allow us to introduce two small but very important products that will greatly reduce aggravation and confusion in your home theater showroom and your living room.

Audio Authority's new 977 solves the problem by converting digital signals from Coax to Optical or vice versa. The 977R (Receiver) converts the Optical output of a digital source (DVD or Laserdisc) to Coax for connection to Dolby Digital® receivers. The 977T (Transmitter) converts a Coax signal to an Optical signal.

Both devices can be used as needed to adapt or match the digital signal bus for different components in a display controlled by the AccessEZâ„¢ Switching System. The 977 can be powered right from the AccessEZ System Bus or, for home applications, from an optional dc power pack.

No matter what type of digital audio, Audio Authority can make it work. Call 800-322-8346 for information.

Ordering Online:

To order online, go to one of the following web merchants:
www.copperbox.com | www.yourdigitalhome.com

Ordering from the Factory:

To fax or mail your order direct to Audio Authority, print out our Order Form.

For dealer inquiries call 800-322-8346 (Toll Free USA and Canada), Monday through Friday

8:30am to 5:00pm EST. Email: [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.