AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1.8 gain grey screen last week, and it works very well, if you are sitting 20-30 degrees off from center. If you are sitting and looking straight on, the picture isn't uniform (horizontal bands on a full white screen), and you can see the screen texture.

It is nice that it works with the lights on, but that isn't the primary criteria for this screen. And I would have a hard time changing it out.

The three ideas I have are:

1. Hope that getting a neutral density filter will knock down the brightness to acceptable levels.

2. Sand the surface of the screen to rough up or remove the glass beads.

3. Paint over the glass beads with a good grey spray paint.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My bet is you're going to ruin that screen if you do anything like you suggest to try to fix it.

With all due respect, did you ever think about calling the place you bought it from and discussing returning it for a more appropriate model?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
What projector , what screen size, and what angle is the projector throwing to the screen?

You most likely are too high in the Foot Lambert range combined with having the projector low and taking full advantage of the retro reflective abilities of the beads. Seeing as how you say it works ok off axis I would think raising the projector and causing your up and down angle to be closer to your side to side would be something to try. I don’t really know but these are my thoughts.

I prefer a low gain high diffusive screen and more lumens for all the above reasons.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do need to try to raise it up. I'm hoping with that and a neutral density filter it will help a lot. I am using the Mitsu HC4900 on it's lowest brightness setting right now. During the day it looks fine, at night it is a little bright. I could raise it up a foot to see if that changes the angle enough.

The problem with returning it is that I could buy a new $250 screen for what the shipping would be to send it there and get a new one back. Let alone the 6+ hours it would take to remove the old one (not to easy), pack it back up, get someone to pick it up to ship it, and a whole bunch of other headaches.

I'll do some experimenting tonight to see if the picture quality is effected by up and down viewing angles like it is side to side.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps18 /forum/post/12999376

I purchased a 1.8 gain grey screen last week, and it works very well, if you are sitting 20-30 degrees off from center. If you are sitting and looking straight on, the picture isn't uniform (horizontal bands on a full white screen), and you can see the screen texture.

Why not just exchange it for something else? HTDepot have a really good return policy and it works well too.

BTW, I returned and same screen and got a FocusPix1.3 because I couldn't stand the texture. I haven't noticed any texture or sparkies problem with the new screen.

Edit: Just noticed your comment about the shipping difficulties -- good luck with your repositioning efforts...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps18 /forum/post/12999376

If you are sitting and looking straight on, the picture isn't uniform (horizontal bands on a full white screen) ...

This could be due to a PJ/source defect or a screen defect. Move the image up and down with the vertical lens shift or by physically aiming the PJ up and down slightly. See whether the horizontal bands stay put (screen defect), or move up and down (PJ or source defect). Horizontal bands are definitely NOT normal for a retro-reflective screen, no matter where you position the PJ.

If your screen is defective, a reputable vendor should replace it and pay for the shipping in BOTH directions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts