AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Replay 5040 a little over a month ago, and just this evening, it went into a continuous reboot cycle right when it was scheduled to record a show.

I've tried holding the power button for 15 seconds, am unable even to get into the factory reset menu or any other menus before it reboots, and it continues to reboot even after I've pulled the power for a while and plug it back in.

All I see is the Welcome screen, the default screen, and it reboots to do it all over again.

Is there any way to get it out of this infinite reboot that I've overlooked, short of voiding the warranty?

Or will I need to RMA, and consider all my recorded shows 'toast'?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is there any way to do so short of voiding the warranty? No, not that's been found.

You can correct this problem by installing the hard drive from the ReplayTV in a PC and re-imaging the drive. To do that, of course, you would have to break the seal on the back of the unit.

I have been in your shoes, and I decided the wait of several weeks to get an RMA return was too much. I was nervous to void the warranty, but every post I'd seen on the matter had been successful. I was successful as well, thankfully, and I was up in running in less than an hour.

In retrospect, I probably should have done a low-level format of the drive before re-imaging and reinstalling it, but I didn’t think to do so. If you decide to go this route, it might not be a bad idea for you to consider a low-level format.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Just put it in the Mail first thing tomorrow and get a hobby for a week. That will pass before you know it and there wont be too much time left before you get it back. If you spend a week trying to decide what to do you still haven't gotten anywhere.

just my two cents worth

icecow

·
Registered
104 Posts
One thing I have heard others have done that seems to help situations like yours is to unplug the power cord, remove the network cable and then plug it back in. Some routers seem to be the root cause of troubles like the one you are describing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just had this happen yesterday and was PISSED. I decided to reimage just the system portion of the drive and not the mpeg partition and it wouldn't boot still. I then formatted the entire drive and re-imaged all 3 partitions and it now works fine. However I lost all my shows which is why I'm pissed. Good thing I had most of them backed up to my computer at home, but I still lost this last week's worth of farscape re-runs.

If you're going to pop it open, might as well get a nice big and fast hard drive to replace that dinky 5400 rpm drive they use in the 5040's. You will notice a HUGE difference in speed.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rugby
...I then formatted the entire drive and re-imaged all 3 partitions and it now works fine. However I lost all my shows which is why I'm pissed. Good thing I had most of them backed up to my computer at home, but I still lost this last week's worth of farscape re-runs....
Too late for you (sorry), but for others, if you've got shows on there that you really want to save, you can use extract-rtv to pull them off the drive and onto your pc drive even if the replay o/s is corrupted. You can then import them into dvarchive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a replay 4160 and had the rebooting problem. In my case the cause was bad sectors on the hard drive. I upgraded the hard drive to two 200gb drives and the problem went away. Before I decided to take the plunge I found a couple ways to circumvent the problem for a while (I got lucky in figuring this all out).

If you are rebooting because of bad sectors on the hard drive the problem will keep recurring each time the unit tries to read or write to the particular bad sector of the drive. Keep in mind that the unit is always writing to the drive, even when you aren't recording a show, as it always records the current show without telling you explicitly that it's doing that, so you can pause and rewind what you are currently watching. In my case I had a situation where every time I rebooted it crashed within seconds of going active again, because it kept trying to use the same sector to write to as soon as it started recording. I got around the problem by first clearing all my stored programs (yea, it's drastic but other than RMAing the unit or replacing the drive, it's the only choice). That way it started recording at a different spot when it rebooted because the free space map of the drive had changed. After that I re-entered my programs to record, and after a couple of days I noticed that the unit had rebooted somtime while it was recording a show for me. You can tell this because the show is broken up into two parts on the replay menu, the part before the crash, and the part after the crash.

Now, here's the trick. DO NOT delete the episode of the show that caused the crash. Mark it to be kept indefinitely. I marked both the before and after sections of the show to be kept forever, but I think you only really need to keep the before the crash section. The reason is that the bad sector on the disk is now marked as in use as part of the show you were recording, and unless you erase that show, that sector will never be used again (don't try playing the show though). If the unit crashes while you are just watching TV and not actively recording, the boot up sequence must delete the temporary file it was recording the currently watched program to, and consequently it will likely reuse the same sector again as soon as the delete occurs (because the free space map on the disk was then the same as when it crashed), causing yet another crash.

How I got lucky was that by deleting all the other shows I cleared the free space map that allowed the machine to reboot without hitting the bad sector right away. However, I still had a chance of the bad sector being encountered again when I was just watching TV, in which case I'd have the reboot problem all over again, and have to clear the shows again. The second lucky part was that the bad sector got hit when I was recording something for later playback, so the reboot sequence didn't erase the temporary file it creates when you are just watching TV. Instead it saved the first part of the show during the reboot sequence because it knew I was recording it for later viewing.

What that means is if you clear the shows and start over, have the unit record about a days worth of shows for later viewing (one show at a time), and wait to see which show is in two parts, that indicates the crash occurred. Save that show and delete the others, and you will have isolated the bad sector. Of course if you have multiple bad sectors it would get very tedious to try and isolate them all, and you would be much better off RMAing the unit or replacing the drive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
mudtoe, interesting experience, but wont be aplicable to many, as they ask these question already in an infinite reboot loop, with no means to access the menus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you don't connect it to the signal inputs you can get the menus up to delete the shows in most cases. Of course if the bad sectors are in the partition with the software itself, then you are probably screwed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.