AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to do a fresh install of Windows Ultimate last night. What is the best way to ghost this installation onto a DVD or two in case I have to do it again. It would be nice to not have to install all of the updates and all of my programs again!

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
365 Posts
Since you're using vista ultimate, your best bet would be to use the backup feature built into windows. after a fresh install and updates I believe mine only needs 2 dvds to backup. To restore from it you just use the windows recovery option on the install disk and then it asks for the backup disks I believe.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos /forum/post/15555104

Since you're using vista ultimate, your best bet would be to use the backup feature built into windows. after a fresh install and updates I believe mine only needs 2 dvds to backup. To restore from it you just use the windows recovery option on the install disk and then it asks for the backup disks I believe.

What if there is no installation disk or if it was lost? Any workaround?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Acronis True Image is another option for doing this, although I don't save the image to a DVD. I save the image to another hard drive, on another computer. It's not free though.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide /forum/post/15557098

Acronis True Image is another option for doing this, although I don't save the image to a DVD. I save the image to another hard drive, on another computer. It's not free though.

I've used the Seagate version of Acronis to "ghost" Vista to larger HDDs. You do need a Seagate or Maxor HDD.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/15555492

Or you can buy Symantec Ghost. I hear it is pretty good at ghosting a machine.

Great product from my past experience with it. But $70 for something that I might use just a few times per year seems too much.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos /forum/post/15555104

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this option.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn /forum/post/15558018

We use Acronis True Image at work all the time. Best thing for us to re-image a machine. That would be my suggestion

True Image is amazing. I just bought the 2009 Home edition for $30.00. I've set the software to automatically image the hard disks in my HTPC and Workstation onto my server every sunday morning. I've also tested the recovery process. Works like a charm.

/R

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd /forum/post/15555058

I just had to do a fresh install of Windows Ultimate last night. What is the best way to ghost this installation onto a DVD or two in case I have to do it again. It would be nice to not have to install all of the updates and all of my programs again!

As per post #2, Easiest way to do it is to use the backup and restore feature of Vista Ultimate. Backup the whole PC to an external drive (you'd need a few DVDs). That means no other programs to buy or install.

But a download may be required if you have "lost" the install disc

Neosmart points to a file called Windows Vista Recovery Disc here:
http://neosmart.net:6969/torrent.htm...f55ea0016f7b7b

Article is here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

Basically you burn the .iso to a DVD and it acts as the boot disc. You can access the recovery menu and restore your pc when you need to rebuild it. Not the only option I'm sure but it works.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Acronis True Image is an amazing Tool that will do ur work ... Simple and clean.. have used it to backup many many many many computers successfully (due to the nature of my work....)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I use Vista's Complete PC Backup all the time (twice yesterday actually)... works very well. After the initial install and basic configuration I was able to get the backup onto one single sided DVD. After installing all my programs (office, vpn, etc.) it does take more than 1 DVD.

I also recommend putting your data/media on a separate drive and point the vista user folders over that drive. Then when you reload your OS and applications it will leave your data intact.

Works really well.

You can also create a bootable flash drive with the windows recovery console on it... it boots into the console 2-3 times faster than booting off the DVD. Unfortunately you can't do a complete PC backup to a flash drive.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I second the Acronis True Image. I was trying out different Blu-ray play back software & totally messed up my HTPC. I did a recovery with True Image & my pc was restored to the way it was before I made all of the changes. It took all of about 10 minutes. I wouldn't have a HTPC without it. You can tinker all you want & don't have to worry if you mess it up..

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The Vista recovery disk option allows you to completely back up your system to a set of recordable DVDs. The downside is that it is really finnicky about the media you use. If it detects any dropouts when comparing the backup DVD it kicks it out and prompts you for a new blank disc. I went through at least a half dozen Verbatim DVD-R's before it let me finish backing up my son's laptop.

Powerquest's Partition Magic and Drive Image (may now both be owned by Symantec) work well for backing up drives. Drive image makes a compressed backup that can be stored on a DVD or a set of CDs and then restored to a drive. Partition Magic allows you to copy a complete partition to another drive as a backup.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
My personal preference (when using Vista Ultimate) is to certainly use the built in Backup feature, but...

I just use another HDD as the backup disc. I almost always have a spare disk lying around, and actually I don't even keep that disk, I let Vista backup everything to that disk, and from there I just transfer the image to my server. The image is typically somewhere between 50-80GB (depending on my programs and program data and what not).

If my PC ever crashes, I can just copy the image from the server to a spare HDD, connect it to the PC in quetion, and be on my merry way. I just hate burning discs nowadays...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts